10"x1/2" ferro rod

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I got my 10"x1/2" ferro rod today, put a cobra weave handle on it and a snake knot lanyard (which is firecord paracord which adds a bit of tinder to the rod), which is paired with my HSS striker, not sure it's worth the $50 outlay but I have it now.

These are the longest rods available on the market currently.

and how it sparks, really happy now that I have tried it, fires off globs of sparks.

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
After all your experience with rocks and strikers that ferro rod will be like a can of petrol and a match :D

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
After all your experience with rocks and strikers that ferro rod will be like a can of petrol and a match :D
agreed mate, I love fooling around with ferro rods and they do make things easy but to be honest they aren't as fun as flint and steel, plus I like they extra skill involved with flint and steel.
I also believe flint and steel teaches you to slow down a bit and important lessons about firecraft that ferro rods don't.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I have come to the conclusion that the 10"x1/2" ferro rods are worth the $50 outlay, these are very good, high quality rods, and throw globs of sparks. They are the soft kind of ferro rod.

Being 10" long they will last a long, long time and I like how you can put a handle on half the rod leaving half the rod exposed to use.

I didn't mention it but they come pre-drilled with a lanyard hole which is appreciated if you want to add a snake knot lanyard like I have on mine.

This has become my 'working rod' and practice rod now, the one use from now on when I need to use a ferro rod.

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
agreed mate, I love fooling around with ferro rods and they do make things easy but to be honest they aren't as fun as flint and steel, plus I like they extra skill involved with flint and steel.
I also believe flint and steel teaches you to slow down a bit and important lessons about firecraft that ferro rods don't.
Yes, I'm guessing you've seen this movie - if you haven't I think you'll like it and appreciate it. Not far into it you'll know why I thought of it with regard to what you've said.