BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5300 Year Old Man's Shoes Reveal a New Design!

Edward

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Not too long ago I was astonished to learn the 5,300 year old Ice-Man's shoes revealed a shoe design that is extremely significant, even today, and one that was literally lost by the passage of time.

Specifically, the shoes were stuffed with straw (hay) which helped insulate the feet from extreme cold and prevent frostbite. No different in principle to layers of clothing, a down bag or even a wet suit. No doubt the straw had to be replaced, much like the tyres on a car!

Gives whole new meaning to the revellation, 'if you could only walk in my shoes', I guess:non sono stato io:

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2017...ce-man-have-been-replicated-they-are-perfect/

ULx0uoP.jpg

Last edited:

Leo Donkersley

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Nice shoes! Makes you wonder how much of our ancestors lore we have forgotten and lost. Bloody loads, I'll wager.

I've seen this mentioned as a way of insulating boots here in Lapland in days gone by, both farmers and the Sami population up here. Very effective, I should think, with the straw and pockets of air providing good insulation.

It was also on a bushcraft type programme with a Norwegian guy called Lars Monsen, who used the method in one episode.

Edward

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Only just got to read this. Wonder if Spendless Shoes will put these up next to the Crocs.
Cheers
Bloffy

Bloffy13

:_applauso:

I dont want to draw direct comparisons to modern tech, as this topic threads rules outline, but given the unique subject at hand, suffice to say Spend Less and other manufacturers are probably all over it!:_risata: Shoe inserts yet another way to make more money on top of socks I suppose.

Last edited:

Edward

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Nice shoes! Makes you wonder how much of our ancestors lore we have forgotten and lost. Bloody loads, I'll wager.

I've seen this mentioned as a way of insulating boots here in Lapland in days gone by, both farmers and the Sami population up here. Very effective, I should think, with the straw and pockets of air providing good insulation.

It was also on a bushcraft type programme with a Norwegian guy called Lars Monsen, who used the method in one episode.

Hi Leo,

Thanks for your informative and eye opening comment.

Yes, I am familiar with Lars Monsen. A very learned practitioner and bushcraft skills teacher, I believe.
I like his work every much, especially as he works Northern Scandinavia, an extreme environment to say the least!

Interesting... I had no idea he demonstrated this 'shoe insulation' principle as part of the culture though! Isn't it great he is keeping these skills alive.

My Grandmother was from Europe, God Bless her soul, and mentioned of winters -30 or more below zero. They slept on beds made of straw (pre-and during WWII). She said it was the best nights sleep you had in your life! Man can't replicate nature I guess.

Thanks for sharing my friend.

Cheers and Peace,
Edward

Last edited: