A couple of bushcrafty bits of army surplus

thejungleisneutral

Walkabout
Reaction score
Last year I picked up a couple of leather pouches.

The first is a West German military police pistol magazine pouch (for the P5 pistol). Here's what they looked like brand new -

I looked up the measurements of a P5 magazine and discovered that the pouch would fit one of my larger-frame folding knives perfectly. I had at it with a little light sanding and steel wool to remove the painted black finish, then "oiled" the leather with some dubbin. At this time I discovered that in my haste to strip the black finish, I'd damaged some of the stitching, so I fixed it with a speedy stitcher and the result is a great natural leather belt pouch which fits my knife perfectly.

IMG_20131209_192030.jpg

The second is one of the Yugoslavian/Serbian rifle ammunition pouches dating from the 1940s and 50s -

IMG_20131209_191759.jpg

It's a great compact "possibles" pouch for your PSK, fire kit, brew kit, twiggy sticks, lensatic compass, whatever. They aren't pretty, but they are rugged and idiot-proof, which clearly appeals to me :)

Here's the pair along with my compass pouch, 44 Pattern water bottle and one of those cheap Chinese-made leather pocket knife pouches...

IMG_20131209_191741.jpg

...which is dodgy and smelly due to the amount of unspecified oil they used on the leather, but it holds an LED Maglite XL50 or XL100 torch perfectly, so I'll sometimes have it on my belt.

Source of my two pouches - no affiliation:

Pocket knife pouches - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GERMAN-ARMY-POLICE-P5-MAGAZINE-KNIFE-POUCH-/171298102241

Yugo ammo pouches - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/YUGOSLAVIAN-ARMY-M48-MAUSER-LEATHER-AMMO-POUCH-/121315823070

Last edited:

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I would never have thought about stripping the black off, its turned out fantastic.

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Great stuff - I love old leather too, and the pouches look really useful