BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A query for the rope and string engineers amongst us

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Not a big believer in fencing wire, I worship the other god, old coat-hangers.

HE'S MERELY A PRETENDER I TELLS YA!
No one could ever take the place of the great Sir Fencing Wire.
'Old coat hangers' certainly can't keep cattle in, nor tear the pants of un-worth fence crossers, nor hide rusting & camoflagued, waiting unseen to strike terror into the heart of any that dare walk through farm paddocks at night without suitable lighting.
And 'old coat hangers' certainly can't smite the 4wds & dirt bikes of those blasphemers that try to take shortcuts through paddocks the way SFW does.

Seriously though, it's looking pretty good, although I dont know about the CBA printing - no interest to be found there I fear.

Bill.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
One last picture before I pack it up. We had some reasonably strong winds last nite an no damage. Shadow lines were spray painted using $2- Matt Black

Attachments

• IMG_2033.jpg
    IMG_2033.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
That looks great.

Have you been ale to setup the campsite as yet (or will you lug it all in later) ?
Tracks will close soon

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Driving up Friday AM, I'll leave the bulk gear close to or at ( well hidden mind you ) PV hut and come back when there is snow on the ground with the pulk.
I'd be tempted to leave the pulk there too but it and its harness are not quite ready yet.
The valances make a huge difference, the wind doesn't get under so much and the extra peg points help a lot too.

I am beginning to think that if I can find a decent 3-pole ( that is a 2-pole plus vestibule hoop) dome
Something similar to this Tuff-Dome by Blackwolf
http://www.kulkyne.com/au/Tuff-Dome.html

I may be able to fix it properly for winter. Just adding an extra half hoop from centre rear to the vestibule hoop, then adding the fireproof fabric for the stove jack.
the main problem with all of these tents is the use of plastic polytarp fabric for the floor, for snow and wet ground it really needs to be PVC as all of the others are not vapour barriers

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
OK fellers just a follow up.
I am back in Geelong. I have had to call the trip off due to stress fractures in both ankles, OUCH!!
My modifications to the tent worked up to a point, but we had storms that totally destroyed the tent and I had to resort to my back-up, the old reliable Chouinard Megamid.
Wind gust exceeding 160kph ripped the tie-downs off the frames, this being the one part of the tent fly that I did not restitch and make stronger.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
holy smoking catfish! 160 kph! I have paddled in 100 kph and that is a lot of wind!

Sorry to hear about your ankles. Still a good experience though? How long to heal? in plaster? what caused the injury?

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
that was my guess of the gust speed. Wind was around 60kph non-stop for 3 days. great big drifts of wet snow and ice on all the snowgums.
I think it happened when I took a jump onto ice it looked like a deep snow drift but wasn't, I may have fractures of the long bones in the feet too, I won't actually know until after the doctors visit on Monday. I can tell you my feet and ankles really really hurt, the walk out needed Endone and panadol Forte and took me 7 hours to do the 9klicks
I do know I need to replace ALL of my boots tho, so if anyone is interested in a pair of Scarpa T1 Telemark boots, size 29.5, ditto my Kofhlach double boots size 11 and my Scarpa "Nor-tours" size 11 give me a message, if I need orthotics I will need to go up a size /size and a half for all my boots

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Ooooch ! Sorry to hear about the injuries. What a shame after all the planning and hard work !

I hope its not as bad as it sounds …. Good luck

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Bad news! Hope you make a quick recovery. Sad to hear about the tent after all the work.

Orthotics are a good idea regardless of injury (preventative). They make a hell of a difference in ski boots - comfort, control, foot warmth (improved circulation), and less fatigue. Though avoid the lure of getting the cheap ones.

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Define cheap>
I have some idea that the real thing costs over $1200-

The ones I got for the ski boots were between $100-$200 from memory, several year ago (hard thermoplastic type) - good for comfort, support, and edge to edge performance - not needed in my other boots/shoes so they don't get a lot of wear 'n tear.

Depending on your injuries and Doctors assessment, you may well need the expensive ones (fibre glass/carbon fibre), which can cost $800+ (I only know this because a Neice had to get some made following Netball injuries to her ankles). Needless to say, reckon you could get better prices from shopping around.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Thanx Walker, the ballpark figure I got from a Podiatrist mate was well over $1200- a set, I was already using "Superfeet" thermoplastic foot beds, a pair in each set of boots; having paid for my daughters footbeds many years ago I thought the ballpark figure was a little low, with a little luck I can persuade the quack to put me on an advanced health care package and have the government fund some of the cost through Medicare.
Needless to say I will need to replace all my boots as the damage has started to set in the new position already, the last time I grew a shoe size was back when I was 21 and running Marathons in the Alice