BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A "very" cheap hammock

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Aunt Sallie was my friend again today.
I was looking for little kids clothing ( for GD) when I saw an old backyard hammock in the half price bin.
I figured that an experiment was worth $5- so I am the owner of my second hammock, the first being a disaster as it was far too small.
This is either poly mesh or nylon mesh with timber spreader bars and far too heavy to backpack ( because of the timber ) but if I can sleep in this one I may then make a replacement.
Has any-one else had experience with these cheap K-Mart/Target? ???? hammocks?

climbndrive

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Hey moondog55 see your on another bushwalking forum,anyway i had a elcheapo for a year and it didn,t like the elemants although it was set up all year outside, turned to dust,made myself a double hammock from double layer denim with 1600 long end spars really comfy, i am dreaming of getting a Hennesy at some stage.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Well that was a waste of money, broken already, not completely just a string or two but I won't trust it now. I could go back and ask for a refund ( they do that if stuff breaks within a week ) but it would cost more in fuel than I just paid .
I also got a school bag for $3- and just looked it up on the web.
New they sell for $112-
http://www.spartanss.com.au/chiropak-ii/w1/i1001406/

these are good to carry, and I paid $20- for the last one, mine is in blue and I don't like blue unless I'm wearing denim how-ever it is like new
Seems like my Go-To pack dilemma is solved for the moment

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Yeah thank goodness for the kiddies.
I've bought several of those blue giggle type school kids hats over the past few years.
They are ideal foir fishing/bushwalking, etc.
Keep the insects away, they're light, offer good sun protection, & very comfy.
I'd just suggest, even if you do trust the source, wash em really thoroughly (several times) with a decent insecticide first.
Some of them school kids have more wildlife up there than you'll see on the average week end hike in the mountains.

Bill.

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Hope your recent purchase doesn't put you off hammocks for good mate.