BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice please - Ultralight winter bag

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have my eye on the sea to summit MCEII sleeping bag (rating +2 degrees celcius) http://www.seatosummit.com.au/sleepingbags/series/?series=micro

I am after a winter bag and I really like the weight and drawstring bottom on this bag.

Does anyone have experience with these bags? If so can you provide some feedback? Is it worth spending an extra $100 to get the MCIII which has a -2 degree celcius rating?

I'd also appreciate suggestions for alternatives. The bag is 600g, rated at +2 degrees celcius and coming in at $350-400.

I know I can get cheaper bags with a higher rating but not at that weight or compress-ability. Also the new spark version is great but is sealed at the base (otherwise I would consider it.

Anyway,

Let me know :)

Steve McFadden

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Love the weight and draw string bottom but it's too tiny for me. Just check the size of it and decied if you would be comfortable. Is there enough space to don additional clothing if your facing a cold night?

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
+2 doesn't sound like winter temps to me !
Even -2 may be pushing it; but it depends ... where you are wintering ?

Best to get a bag which is warm enough to sleep in without any extra layers - that way you have a warm, winter "refuge" even if your other clothes become wet.

If you need to add extra layers just to survive the overnight cold, then it negates the small size and weight of the bag IMO. Merino thermals may weigh about 200g for a top and a little less for pants - that's say 380g weight, plus the volume which you could "spend" on a bigger, warmer bag ?

If +2 is warm enough for winter, then it looks OK, although I'm unsure about that bottom draw cord ... It may be drafty esp if you are tall and your feet are "pushed" to the bottom .... ?

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
+2 doesn't sound like winter temps to me !
Even -2 may be pushing it; but it depends ... where you are wintering ?

Best to get a bag which is warm enough to sleep in without any extra layers - that way you have a warm, winter "refuge" even if your other clothes become wet.

If you need to add extra layers just to survive the overnight cold, then it negates the small size and weight of the bag IMO. Merino thermals may weigh about 200g for a top and a little less for pants - that's say 380g weight, plus the volume which you could "spend" on a bigger, warmer bag ?

If +2 is warm enough for winter, then it looks OK, although I'm unsure about that bottom draw cord ... It may be drafty esp if you are tall and your feet are "pushed" to the bottom .... ?

I'm in NSW so rarely will I be out below 0 degrees..

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I usually use a -5c bag for temps down to 0c because being tired or not having a good meal can make you significantly colder.

Sent from my camp fire by smoke signal!

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I usually use a -5c bag for temps down to 0c because being tired or not having a good meal can make you significantly colder.

Interesting, I've always found and believed the opposite, ie a good meal will increase your body temp as your metabolism steps up with digestion.

I do agree a +2 bag intended as a winter bag probably isn't sufficient. For most bags the temp rating is one that's acceptable though I've never found it acceptable, I generally wanted a few degrees more to actually be comfortable without having to layer up.

oncedisturbed

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Aldi have cold weather bags on sale this week for $99 with comfort rating between -8.6c and -24c
I forgot the ISO standards it has been tested against, not a huge bag but also not a small pack up

Never underestimate the power of the tap, let it flow through you.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
I picked up my -5c down bag from Kathmandu's seconds shop in Harbour Town, Perth for $180 down from $550 back in 2013. I think I might even have got a club discount as well.
Might be worth a look.
Cheers
Bloffy

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
For summer I use a Carinthia Eagle. It is 300g heavier than what you have in mind, it compresses to roughly the same size (16x20) is a fair bit cheaper. It has a brilliant zip, although not a centre zip, which does not snag and it can be built into a system. If you are ha mocking in the wind then I think you would be uncomfortable at the low end of the range you are talking about.
I got mine from overseas (can't remember where), but they have them in Oz http://www.coolkit.com.au/carinthia-eagle-sleeping-bag/
You could go with what you have in mind and add an inner/ liner from the same company which would give you an extra 10-15 degrees. I've not used the reactor extreme, but have their silk liner which is good, but a fiddle when in a hammock and you have had too much ale and need to get up more than once in the night. http://www.seatosummit.com.au/products/liners/thermolite-reactor-extreme-liner/?ref=sleep-systems

Those specs on your planned purchase are impressive.

SimonM

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
If you want an ultralight bag I would go for a top quilt, especially at the temperatures you mentioned. At least 800fp down, and ultralight fabric will see you have a lightweight compact quilt with better specs than those listed. Even a synthetic filled top quilt will weigh around 500grams with a rating of around 0 to +2 celsius, synthetic wont be as compact when packed though.

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
If you want an ultralight bag I would go for a top quilt, especially at the temperatures you mentioned. At least 800fp down, and ultralight fabric will see you have a lightweight compact quilt with better specs than those listed. Even a synthetic filled top quilt will weigh around 500grams with a rating of around 0 to +2 celsius, synthetic wont be as compact when packed though.

Any recommendations on vendor??

SimonM

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Any recommendations on vendor??

There are a lot to choose from in the US including Enlightened Equipment, Zpacks, Katabatic Gear, MLD (synthetic only), Wilderness Logics, Hammock Gear, UGQ, Loco Libre, and heap of others I cant think of right now. Locally you have Michael on the Bushwalk forum, Evan at Terra Rosa Gear also would do a custom quilt, and I can also make you a custom one to your specs. So plenty of choice.

Last edited:

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
On a side note I have a Snugpak quilt, which packs pretty small and is quite light but I have not had a chance to try it yet. It is supposed to be good down to -5c according to public opinion.

Sent from my camp fire by smoke signal!

n5750547

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
There are a lot to choose from in the US including Enlightened Equipment, Zpacks, Katabatic Gear, MLD (synthetic only), Wilderness Logics, Hammock Gear, UGQ, Loco Libre, and heap of others I cant think of right now. Locally you have Michael on the Bushwalk forum, Evan at Terra Rosa Gear also would do a custom quilt, and I can also make you a custom one to your specs. So plenty of choice.
I am waiting for Mike to do a large version so that I can order one for next winter. Or I may go for the EE revelation...

Another option that I have seen on Reddit is Aegismax sleeping bags from China. The G400 or G700 look decent and they can be used as a quilt as well. I'm hesitant though as I know a quality quilt is in my future at some point so I might just have to save up.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Qually

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I have found that a -5 bag is only just warm enough for winter camps. I don't sleep cold but it just seems to be the rating that is practically warm enough for NSW winters, and sometimes only just warm enough. I agree that, if you have to wear extra clothes or add a liner(which always get twisted inside a bag), then the extra weight/volume could go into your winter bag. I have a few winter bags and never use any of the warmer rated bags anymore. I couldn't find a cheap ultra light compact bag for the life of me. I don't think they exist.

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice everyone.. I have a tier gear custom bag on the way and I appreciate all of your guidance..

Pics when it arrives (approx 4 weeks)..