BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another CrazyFox Knife .....

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score

Yeah , my bad ! This was money poorly spent !
I purchased this knife some time ago and have sort of dreaded testing it ( proof it's rubbish )
Delusions aside , it was time to let reality slap me silly !

This knife is garbage ! HRC is 55/50 , which appears to be very common !
Butt !!! and it's a huge butt ! There is little in the way of edge holding to speak off !

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Ok , a while back I purchased a 200mm x 25mm grinding wheel because for the life of me I could not find a wet stone grinder wheel .
The wheel is 60 grit , which is seriously course .
But ! It rips steel .

This knife was begging for a re grind ..
And rubbish steel can respond to a more course edge .. And I can't think of too many knives more rubbish than this one !
So it now wears a 60 grit wet stone grinder edge !
I have done 80 grit Diamond cut edges before , so this is not so much different .

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Ok , the universe just got me a beauty !
I put the knife to the rope - Has a 20 degree 60 grit edge ! after being re ground !

Wait for it ...
Only a five hundred slice increase over the previous result ! That's right , I call it at five hundred and fifty slices .
It could probably keep going , but that hacksaw like blade is catching the paper .
Some stropping , and the edge is back ..

Question ? Is it the 20 degree bevel or is it the 60 grit edge ?
Im going to have to put that 60 grit edge on another disappointing knife and see what happens .
Video Soon ...