BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aussie baskets and bags. Aboriginal, Islander, Modern Primitive.

Quinkan

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I don't have any examples on hand but there's a group of artists out in Pitjantjatjara country that use traditional techniques but ultra modern materials like old shredded tarps and bread bags cut into strips, and Western Qld'ers that use baling twine.I guess people can adapt to nearly anything eventually.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
When I was in New Guinea I picked up a billum (I think that is the right spelling) for my daughter and wife which was made from a mix of modern wools, nylon and the fur from a native opossum. Nearly didn't get it through Customs because it is a rare and endangered animal (which I wasn't aware of at the time.) The billum is a large bag the PNG locals wear across their foreheads. They can carry a huge amount of stuff in them.
My daughter and wife make very good use of them but they tend to wear them as shoulder bags, not across their heads. LOL.
Cheers
Bloffy

Quinkan

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
yup, billum's the word, I've one here somewhere but from memory was actually made near New Mapoon or Seisia, I'll ask mum sometime. Massive thing, like a stone age two seater pram :D