BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aussie disposals wool blanket

Lifecraft

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
It's getting cold and I want a good wool blanket. I went to the BCOZ store to have a look but it says out of stock.
Are there plans of getting more stock? I haven't been paying attention to the forums.

Last time I was at the aussie disposals store they had quite rugged looking wool blankets. I'm guessing it was something like this:
http://www.aussiedisposals.com.au/italian-wool-blanket
Although the ones I saw didn't have any pattern or different shades on it. They were completely plain gray (which I'd prefer, it's just simpler). So I can't really be sure what they were unless I go back and ask someone who actually knows and isn't guessing.

If I remember correctly there were 2 types. One was thicker and heavier than the other. I can't remember the exact prices though.
For a hiking blanket I could probably go the lighter one (certainly wouldn't want anything bulkier for hiking, and might not even want a wool blanket if going really light).
For a really warm camping blanket I'd like the thicker one, which is bulkier, when I don't mind the extra weight.

It says they're 100% wool but I hear blankets are often advertised 100% wool when they're not. If I ask someone at the store I can't be sure they know, and half the stuff there isn't that clearly labelled.

The advantage of getting one from aussie disposals is it's not that far away to drive, and there are a few other things I want to get from there anyway. That makes it easy. I could pick it up tomorrow, along with a few other bits and pieces. Plus no shipping fees (though I use fuel).
The advantage of organizing it from BCOZ is that obviously I'm providing more support to the site, which is always a good thing.

What does everyone think? Pick one up from aussie disposals tomorrow or order one from BCOZ?

I might end up getting more than one if I like using it.

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
This project is on my list too, did you have a design in mind?

Edit .... Im so much in the groove of making a anorak jacket out of a wool blanket that i just need to see the words wool blanket and im thinking jacket designs.

Last edited:

JM9422

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Bit of a bugger coming in to winter. They were on sale some time after xmas last year for $30.

Unfold it in the store. I found one had a decent cut in it when I went to buy, bought it anyway with a further discount and then stitched it up.

Tomuda

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Not sure on price but many airlines use wool blankets for international travellers I have one, its light ish and 100% wool, op shops always have wool blankets for cheap prices I recently picked up a huge queen size for $5 100% wool.

thejungleisneutral

Walkabout
Reaction score
Not sure on price but many airlines use wool blankets for international travellers I have one, its light ish and 100% wool, op shops always have wool blankets for cheap prices I recently picked up a huge queen size for $5 100% wool.

Same. I have a vintage Qantas blanket and it's 100% wool and packs down small. Another one which is suitable for bush walking is the old army horse blanket of the 1960s - it's just about interchangeable with a nylon poncho liner so you can use it with a tarp as a bed roll. It's also 100% wool and universally hated by everyone so they are cheap. The best wool blanket I have is a South Korean 60s vintage army wool cot blanket - toasty.

Anthiron

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I have one of the itchy Wool blankets from Blakes store. It is a top quality item. Shame he is sold out.

There are a few Military issue/unissued wool blankets on Ebay.

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I did the rounds on the weekend with my wife looking for some furniture to restore, went to a heap of Vinnie's stores - Not one wool blanket to be found :-(

The freight on the ebay items is the killer!

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
never look for blankets in cold months look around March for them in charity shops that is when they seem to get them in preparing for the cooler times to come

chrisg

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
The ones at Aussie disposals tend to be 80% wool blend but occasionally they get a 100% surplus one in

Tas

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Just a heads up people, I can get 100 percent wool blankets new, locally made here for $60
size is 1820 mm x 2280 mm.
Warm and toasty
Pm me if your interested

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
The care shop directly across the road from my store have a lot of second hand 100% wool blankets, price varies from $10 to $20
If anyone want some, give me a yell, I can help to get them and post it to you, or if you want to get the address.

Lifecraft

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I just bought a $40 one from aussie disposals which is the guy said is 80% wool.
Seems to be pretty good condition. I didn't notice any damage or wear on it. I wouldn't be surprised if it's never been used and has just been in storage for a few decades.

He said they did have some 100% wool ones in there a while ago, but that they're really difficult to get more of.
I asked him what he thought of 80% vs 100% and he said it'll still keep you warm, but it's slightly less fire retardent than 100% wool. So it might singe more easily, or smoulder, or whatever if you really get it close to the fire, but I still can't imagine it'll catch alight or actually burn very easily considering how dense it is, and considering it's still mostly wool.

What does everyone else think of 80%?
I'd imagine there are a lot of opinions, but right now I'm guessing there will be very little noticeable difference when using it.
I'm sure it'll do until I get a 100% wool one.

It's pretty big. Too bulky for a light weight, small hiking pack.
It seems rugged enough it could be strapped to a pack. But I'd rather it inside the pack so it's not getting covered in thorns and stuff walking through the bush.

In winter I think it's worth carrying it despite being so bulky, but certainly not in summer. Probably not even in moderate spring and autumn temps.
I'm thinking of getting a larger pack for when I'm prepared to carry more gear, move more slowly, and travel shorter distances. (Not so much for hiking, as for just mobile camping.)
That should make the bulky blanket less of an issue.

Now I just need to camp out in the cold to test it out.

I'm going to inquire with Tas about 100% wool as well. The one I bought can eventually just be a backup blanket I keep in my car.