BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bedrolls And Swags

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
looks bloody good to me as well Chutes, thanks fot the link. Tho I reckon the shipping would be expensive posted from America.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
FYI - they offer 2 options on postage to Australia:

UPS/ DHL/ FedEX/ EC/ SKYNET = US$104.31
or
USPS/ EMS = US$52.29

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
well most of my bedroll turned up yesterday, alpaca blanket, self inflating mat and pillow, all I need to add is another ground sheet and a hammock. I can't take pics at the moment, but as soon as I can I will. From the looks of it I will be able to set up my whole bedroll set up for under 10Lbs weight.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
here is my bed roll system(less on ground sheet8'x10' and a hammock, I will include the ebay search info to those at the end

self inflating pillow
Search for "NEW SELF INFLATABLE CAMPING PORTABLE AIR COMPACT PILLOW". Sellers name is 'bargaincorner06'

self inflating mat
Search for "NB PORTABLE SELF INFLATING CAMPING MATTRESS AIR MAT BED". Sellers name is 'bargaincorner06'

All weather HD space blanket
Search for "All Weather Emergency Space Blanket- OD Green new". Sellers name is 'wrightstuff'

Alpaca blanket
Search for "New Soft ALPACA WOOL Thick Plush Home TWIN Peru Blanket". Sellers name is 'putuco'

Ferrino Rider bivvy
Search for "Ferrino Rider - Bivy Sack, Emergency shelter, Survival". Sellers name is 'adventure_friends'

HeatSheets bivvy
Search for "Heatsheets Emergency Bivvy 1 Person Space Tech Shelter". Sellers name is 'intentscampinggear'

I also have added 100' of black paracord, 4 bungie straps, 5'x7' ground sheet

I am adding(next fortnight)
Search for "Army Nylon Travel Camping Swing Parachute Hammock +Sack". Sellers name is 'stephen-biz'

and the other ground sheet. All up this all weights just under 10Lb's, and rolls up into a reasonably compact bedroll.It will offer a complete sleeping/shelter system with comfort and temperature protection all taken in to consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I might be a bit slack in regard to some things but I've always found a rolled up jacket or other item of clothing to be all the pillow I've needed.
Can't see the point of carrying yet another item when there's something at hand that can work pretty much just as good.
I do like th alpaca blanket idea though.

Bill A.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Bill I have found that I can add the deflated pillow in the stuff sack of the mat and it doesn't take any "extra" room, tho does add it's weight(250g)to the sack of coarse. The alpaca blanket is the go, a beautifully warm blanket. As soon as I get the hammock I will post pics of the complete system,for me a complete sleep/shelter system that weighs just under 10Lbs is a very good option. I am thinking of carrying the whole set up (bedroll) on an ALICE frame, tho this is just still at the thinking stage.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
they look great chutes, thanks. Might be good for sleeping in the back of the 4x4 on hotter nights. Ive given up on open swags on the ground, to many things want to share your bed with you i find.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
heres pics finally of my bedroll system, I have added a 2man tent(taking the total weight to about 12.5Lb's), all I will be adding is a hammock and another ground sheet.

2011-09-20_14-30-56_591.jpg

alpaca blanket with HD all weather space blanket
2011-09-20_14-28-58_461.jpg

2011-09-20_14-29-11_540.jpg

2011-09-20_14-29-38_912.jpg

2011-09-20_14-30-04_922.jpg

2011-09-20_14-29-55_973.jpg

2011-09-20_14-33-57_936.jpg

2011-09-20_14-34-07_841.jpg

2man tent with tarp
2011-09-20_14-30-36_370.jpg

2011-09-20_14-31-21_297.jpg

HitchHiking

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I think there is old swag that Myles Dunphy and Burt Gallop used in the Blackheath NPWS at Govetts. Its a neat looking bed roll and Mr Dunphy loved it from the way he writes about it in various things I have read.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
my hammock turned up today, all I need now to complete my bedroll sleep/shelter system is to add another 8'x10' ground sheet.

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
What does it weigh all up. (A list of the contents would be interesting too)

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
What does it weigh all up. (A list of the contents would be interesting too)
13Lb's(quite weighty but covers all conditions and temps and offers different sleep options)
list of contents
(in the bedroll)
Alpaca blanket
HD space blanket
medium duty tarp
light ground sheet
Darche Hybrid tent
6 plastic tent pegs
4 bungee straps
pkt of cable ties.

on the left side in bottom pic
Army nylon travel camping swing parachute hammock and sack(can carry 150Kg's, and is designed for tall people), tho cheap it seems quite functional and when packed up it is light and compact. Only thing no mossie net
cordage(paracord and bank line #36)

other roll
4cm self inflating mat and self inflating pillow

I am planning to strap the SI mat roll to the bottom of a German Mountain pack, and unroll the rest of the bedroll and fold up and put in the pack.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Don't worry mate. we will soon be calling utes - pick-ups too. Damper- Bannock, we will spell colour without a U we will say lewtenant instead of Lieutenant. and yes how can we not know the difference of a traditional swag to the modern things commonly known as it.

Actually I/we used to pronounce it "LEFF-tenuunt" very hard on the first syllable and soft on the last, or "Boss"

peter

Ray Mears
Reaction score
This is my swag, that i made. I bought a poly cotton mix tarp 1.8 x 2.4 folded it long ways, then sewed it up. With 2 wool blankets, Sea to Summit thermo liner, & mozzie net it weighs 7kg.
swagme.jpg

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Great work Peter, I love homemade kit! That is a nice simple little set up!

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I really like the look of your swag. Did you sew in the mozzie net, or just drape it on top ?

How does it cope with rain ?

peter

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Thanks Guys i just drape the mozzie net over the canvas. I filled it full of water, then slept in it, to see how warm it was wet. I don't know about the rain, only time it's rained, i was under a rock overhang, so it didn't get wet. Cheers Peter