BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bedrolls And Swags

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a great looking swag. I like the leather trim. Do you rig a tarp over the top in the rain?

chrisg

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I just picked up my new Terra Rosa swag yesterday and it looks the goods, I'm hoping to get out in the next couple of weeks and test it out. I'm going to try a bit of a hike with the swag and a dilly bag and see how it goes, I filled it up today and wore it to see how it felt and having the dilly over the front as a counter balance felt really comfortable to walk with, I cant wait to see how it goes.

I'll post pictures as soon as I get it out in the bush

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
This is my swag setup......

It consists of a wild country wanderer swag
An army issue winter weight sleeping bag
thermarest pro-light
and a ground sheet

All rolled up into one roll.....

pretty versatile as the swag unzips completely, basically into a tarp, plus i have added some extra eyelets to increase variety of set ups......

20140824_195425.jpg20140824_195535.jpg20140824_195705.jpg20140824_201646.jpg

oldigger

Les Stroud
Reaction score
A somewhat belated report. Project didn't work out. I boiled the drop cloth material in order to tighten the weave. This caused a fair bit of shrinkage (about 10%). It took about 8 coats of linseed oil/white spirit before I could not see any more pin pricks of daylight through the material (I worked on the principle that if light could get through, then so could water). By the time I was satisfied with the water proofing, the thing weighed about 4 kilos which, combined with a wool blanket, was way to heavy for lightweight traditional camping purposes. I am thinking of having another go with a good quality king sized bed sheet. Have any forum members tried this?

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
bedrolls and swags

A somewhat belated report. Project didn't work out. I boiled the drop cloth material in order to tighten the weave. This caused a fair bit of shrinkage (about 10%). It took about 8 coats of linseed oil/white spirit before I could not see any more pin pricks of daylight through the material (I worked on the principle that if light could get through, then so could water). By the time I was satisfied with the water proofing, the thing weighed about 4 kilos which, combined with a wool blanket, was way to heavy for lightweight traditional camping purposes. I am thinking of having another go with a good quality king sized bed sheet. Have any forum members tried this?

Not exactly the same but I have a Japara tarp from Terra Rosa Gear which is essentially sheet material. After waxing it is very waterproof and does not weight too much. It is quite a tight weave though compared to a sheet. I have seen Japara from time to time in spotlight, might be worth a look.

Last edited:

Askew

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score

Haven't tried it yet myself, what I would do is experiment with swatches of fabric first to see how many coats of linseed oil were needed to make it waterproof. Maybe try different fabrics?

Andrew P.

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Does anyone know of anyone who makes good quality swag slings and straps out of leather. I have been looking around and can find a few good quality binding straps however no good slings. If someone makes these or knows of someone who does please contact me.

Regards Andrew

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
G'day Andrew,
Welcome to the forum. Take a moment to introduce yourself - where you are from, what you like about bushcrafting, that sort of thing. It helps us help you with closer suppliers, local knowledge etc.
Cheers
Bloffy

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi for those of you who are looking to go down the trad route with your swags here is something that may interest you.
http://www.endicotts.co.uk/content/british-wool-kf-sbag-liner-olive-green

Now I have no connection with Endicotts but I have used them when I lived in the UK and the owner was very good at sorting the odd deal out and giving me heads up of kit I may like as he knew I was a kit monster. Also check out the blankets may do you a deal.

Swampy

Andrew P.

Russell Coight
Reaction score
G'day Bloffy,

I am in the wollongong region (just south of Sydney). I am into traditional bushcraft and love learning about our predecessors. I am in the process of getting a swag put together but like i said above i have had trouble finding a good sling that wont be uncomfortable for long periods of wear.

Regards Andrew

oncedisturbed

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
G'day Bloffy,

I am in the wollongong region (just south of Sydney). I am into traditional bushcraft and love learning about our predecessors. I am in the process of getting a swag put together but like i said above i have had trouble finding a good sling that wont be uncomfortable for long periods of wear.

Regards Andrew

Mate I also do leatherwork, feel free to drop me a pm with info on styles etc and happy to try help out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
So I had this US Army WW2 Arctic sleeping bag in the shed (As you do).I had a bit of a play with turning the outer cover into a swag.. I used a bit of cord and haversack webbing for the sling but could easily make a leather one. Anyhow that as far as I have got with my swag set up....

Swag 092.jpgSwag 093.jpgSwag 094.jpgSwag 095.jpg I reckon waterproofing the cover with beeswax and linseed is the next step... Anyhow that as far as I have got with my swag set up....

Last edited:

peter.

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
nice HD. being careful not to go too far from bedrolls, what's that haversack? and I love the wall garden!

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
nice HD. being careful not to go too far from bedrolls, what's that haversack? and I love the wall garden!

Thanks mate..Was just trying to work with what I had to hand.Next step is to try and waterproof the cover with beeswax and linseed.Some kind sleeping mat will be added to the inside of the swag and I use a tarp/poncho.Haversack is the Yugoslavian combat pack I got two so used the webbing off one for the swag.

Wall garden is made form pallets, I need to do a post about that at some stage.:non sono stato io:

Last edited:

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a bit of left over beeswax and linseed treatment in the shed so made a start on the waterproofing.This will water proof the "swag" but add to the weight and bulk.All the army sleeping bag cover is cotton canvas bag really.I need to make more waterproofing treatment but luckily I found a big hunk of beeswax in the roadside clean up.Started to think about the leather straps it will be brass a copper rivets. Swag two 016.jpgSwag two 015.jpgSwag two 017.jpgSwag two 019.jpg

Andrew P.

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I have finally figured out a comfortable solution to my swag sling. Looking through the shed last week i found an old corded girth at the back of one of the cupboards. it has brass hardware on both ends and i would say it is 30-40 years old. going on walks with it has been amazing and often I forgot I was carrying around 2 wool blankets and a tarp on my back. I would definitely recommend it.

Regards Andrew

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I have finally figured out a comfortable solution to my swag sling. Looking through the shed last week i found an old corded girth at the back of one of the cupboards. it has brass hardware on both ends and i would say it is 30-40 years old. going on walks with it has been amazing and often I forgot I was carrying around 2 wool blankets and a tarp on my back. I would definitely recommend it.

Regards Andrew

Sounds interesting. Any pics? I have a nice bedroll I am thinking of pressing into service but am unsure how to carry it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew P.

Russell Coight
Reaction score
G'day Mate,

I will put up some pictures today, I just have to find my camera. I had a look at your bedroll and I am really impressed. I would love to have an oilskin tarp but at the moment I am only using a cheap Vinyl tarp from the Aussie Disposals. I will get an oilskin tarp from tentsmiths soon and the vinyl tarp will then be my ground cloth or secondary shelter in heavy rain.

Regards Andrew