BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bedrolls And Swags

Andrew P.

Russell Coight
Reaction score
This is my bedroll setup. It includes an Italian wool blanket, a Hungarian wool blanket, a vinyl tarp and about 8ft of hemp rope. The two straps are off of an old army surplus mattress and then the sling is a 36 inch corded girth made like I said about 30-40 years ago. The last post has my belt kit and hat in it.

Regards Andrew

20161023_135932.jpg

20161023_135750.jpg

20161023_135853.jpg

20161023_140802.jpg

Last edited:

Steve McFadden

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Hi Andrew, do you find that the vinyl swag causes much condensation, or perhaps the wool soaks it up without you noticing?. Does it change much in weight with prolonged use?

Andrew P.

Russell Coight
Reaction score
G'day Steve,
To be honest unless it is really cold or raining I just use the tarp as a ground cloth. However I have occasionally had condensation problems when using it in cold weather however only on top and bottom not where I am sleeping. I haven't noticed it getting heavier and I will usually have a quick break if I start to find it uncomfortable however this is usually only at 3-4 hour intervals

Regards Andrew

Last edited:

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
The bedroll for me would not be much different to what I used last time I met the WA mob at Mt. Mambup. It consisted of an inflatable mattress on top of a ground sheet, a V2 Trifecta bivvy with a sleeping bag inside, and lastly a poncho tarp pegged at one end and tied to a tree the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew P.

Russell Coight
Reaction score
G'day Everyone,

I have just purchased a new 1.8m x 2.4m canvas tarp and am going to make a swag out of it. It will still contain the same items as those listed above as well as some new items for the nose bag. I am going to try to go as traditional as possible however I may include a self inflating mat. I will put up another post on the progress i make. Should be a great project. The inspiration for the actual swag has come from peter's swag on page 4 of this thread

Regards Andrew

Andrew P.

Russell Coight
Reaction score
G'day Everyone so the canvas tarp arrived today and have got the first stage of my swag together although will definitely need some fine tuning. So the way I have set up my swag for now is to lay my tarp flat on the ground, then lay the first blanket across the tarp on the left side if you were lying in it, I then added the second blanket but on the right side so that I have 2 halves of the blankets under me. Now I added the self inflating mat. So when I role out the swag slide in pull the 2 other halves of the blankets over the top and then pull the canvas over. Here are some photos of my progress so far.

Regards Andrew

IMG_5987.jpg

IMG_5990.jpg

Last edited:

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks good Andrew.

It it comfortable with the blankets in that arrangement (do they stay put once you are asleep) ?

Andrew P.

Russell Coight
Reaction score
G'day Aussie,

Like I said only got this setup made yesterday so haven't had a night in it yet but i think it should be okay. I am going to get some leather cord and close up the side and bottom of the swag so everything should stay inside it as well.

Regards Andrew

Andrew P.

Russell Coight
Reaction score
G'day Mongoose,

I was thinking that what do you reckon the best place to get them from would be? I know they are on Dave Canterbury's website but is there anywhere else?

Regards Andrew

Lazy J

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I'd love to know more about the traditional Aussie swag. You always read about but like the other posters have said you can't find a YouTube video on it. Would be a grear if someone on this forum could make one!

oncedisturbed

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
G'day Mongoose,

I was thinking that what do you reckon the best place to get them from would be? I know they are on Dave Canterbury's website but is there anywhere else?

Regards Andrew

Fusion Gear in SA have blanket pins available, from memory they're a forged carbon steel ring and pin set. Will find the link and post it for you here

https://m.facebook.com/southernleathersolutions/

Andrew P.

Russell Coight
Reaction score
G'day Lazy J,

Once I get the whole swag together and setup the way I'd like it to be I may put up a video about it. Perhaps even an overnighter so you can see it in all it's glory.

Regards Andrew

Andrew P.

Russell Coight
Reaction score
G'day Oncedisturbed,

Thanks for the links mate now all I need to do is figure out which one I should get.

Regards Andrew

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I have the forged one from fusion gear. It's pretty ugly, does not look as nice as the picture. You can buy stainless pins in places like haberdashery stores, especially if you just wanted a cheap one to try it out.

Shazam

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
G'day Mongoose,

Regards Andrew

Maybe try hitting up the medieval / historical reanactment type suppliers for a cloak pin which are the same exact thing....but usually look nicer.
I've got a nice pewter one from St.Justin that I bought years ago.....might be a bit too nice to use on a swag but I'm sure if you look you'll find a nice practical one.

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
Maybe try hitting up the medieval / historical reanactment type suppliers for a cloak pin which are the same exact thing....but usually look nicer.
I've got a nice pewter one from St.Justin that I bought years ago.....might be a bit too nice to use on a swag but I'm sure if you look you'll find a nice practical one.

You have to be careful even with them. Currently there is a lot of crap comeing in from India and Eastern Europe.

bluebush2

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Getting back to what is a "traditional" Aussie swag, lets talk about "Waltzing Matilda" and the Depression when lots of men had to hump their swag. My Grandfather had a "top-shelf" Depression era swag. It was a lightweight waterproofed canvas ground sheet with crossed-over cotton sheets on top sewn from either side. The groundsheet was about 50cm longer than than the cotton covers with extra length at the head end. The cotton covers were sewn only about 3/4 of the way up from the bottom so flaps opened from either side making it easy to get in and out. There were eyelets and laces on the head end to enable it to be tied tightly when rolled. It was used with a under-and-over blue coarse greasy wool blanket (made in Tasmania) and a small kapok pillow. It might have originally come with a Japara fly with tapes on it a bit like a hootchie, but that might have been added later as my Dad had a similar set-up for with the waterproof Japara fly for Scouts in the 1940s. There was no mattress, ever. You dug a hip hole and used foliage under the swag.
Coincidentally, I also remember my Grandad's depression-era water bag from the 1920-30s. It was about 3 liters capacity I guess, entirely homemade, using ?waxed finely woven cotton fabric like Japara but that still would allow enough evaporation to cool the contents like a canvas water bag, a neck taken from a broken milk bottle stitched in, and a hand-whittled wooden stopper.