BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Belt packs - ideas, especially MOLLE/PALS style

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Some years ago, there was a bit of a discussion about packs and in that was this setup by Thrud http://bushcraftoz.com/forums/showt...er-Carry-Methods&p=58818&viewfull=1#post58818.

Having now seen Thrud's latest setup the other week, I'm keen to know what others might be using. (Perhaps an update on yours too, Thrud, for those playing at home?)

Enough for a day's hiking. Carrying 2-3L of water, lunch, snacks, etc. Perhaps a poncho for rain or shelter.

Over to y'all ...

oncedisturbed

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
This is a bush kit I've been working on, drawing up a few more designs including a larger bum pack and dump pouches

594a19ff6860d6e60d524600feeb8a4b.jpg

ea8469e9f2ff5d2174ad20688e9c5084.jpg

Never underestimate the power of the tap, let it flow through you.

oncedisturbed

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
The guy makes some nice gear.

I've finally managed to find a manufacturer to get oilskin fabric from that I'll now be using for my dump pouches to make them light but stronger without the heftier price tag.

Having worn both leather (helwig gear) and MilSpec gear for years, I fully appreciate the gear which is what I'm trying to bring back out for bush gear here but not having users take into account loading up like we did with packs, webbing, rifle, ammo etc.

Just a simple, no frill approach to functionality with easy modding to suit the trip and be able to carry the basics.

This is my draw string variant with goat hide

77fbe46f7028686574d5d0a9f88fc04b.jpg

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
OK, as requested by Redtail here is what I have in the belt kit ATM. Some of the items I had forgotten I had (especially the muesli bar!) There is more space, I have a separate snakebite kit which will fit in one of the pouches.IMG_0197.jpgIMG_0199.jpgIMG_0198.jpg

The belt is a KArrimor padded belt with the buckle replaced for a safety release buckle. The harness is from Vanguard and is very light and thin. I tend to keep it rolled up when not carrying a heavy load and do not get a sweaty back with it.

There are 2 admin style pouches one role-poly dump pouch one generic bum bag as well as a couple of snap links coming off the belt for attaching lanyards etc.

IMG_0202.jpgIMG_0203.jpg

In these two, I have the 1l water bottle, usually Nalgenes. Power tank pen, SAK, Compass Suunto Global Whistle write in rain style pad with pencil (Ikea) GPS and camera. I have spare room for food etc as well.

IMG_0200.jpgIMG_0201.jpg

In these two, water bottle again. Lepmyister's brilliant fat wood fire steel, aluminium foil windshield folding spoon,matches,metho, Tato stove, sparker which fits itno snopeak billy.

IMG_0205.jpgIMG_0204.jpg

In the end pockets of the bumbag; PLB one end, Survival kit and flynet in other

IMG_0206.jpg

Rear pocket of bumbag: Crepe 6", whistle thing with compass and mirror matches and cotton wool balls inside, two BCB tins chapstick folding bucket Petal headtorch, Crux clock.

IMG_0208.jpg

A sort of FAK; finger torch, and some iodine ointment antihistamines, painkillers Some heavy duty left over from shoulder recon. Space blanket

IMG_0207.jpg

Other tin has, coffee filter (use as water filter, hootchie cord, tick miller, flagging tape, another space blanket, lighter two rubbish bags batteries (not quite sure why)

IMG_0209.jpg

Front pouch of bumbag

^00ml water fast, gloves, lightstick, fire bellows, 12"crepe, transpiration bags, Sawyer, Paracord, Dyneema, water purification tabs, Hydrolyse sachets, smaller bandage, lost muesli bar...

Any comments for additions/deletions (I'm going to lose the batteries) gratefully received.

I have a knife separate and obviously the belt fits easily under most rucksacks.

Attachments

• IMG_0197.jpg
    IMG_0197.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0197.jpg
    IMG_0197.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Excellent post Thrud. I had forgotten how much you carry on your belt. Makes me look like a Gram-Weenie:_risata:

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Phwoar! That's more impressive than what I thought. And I only saw it for real last month.

Any idea what it all weighs?

I have probably about the same gear, but all in a Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon II, or a Zafar. The Zafar is a recent acquisition with a proper hip belt, and has room for a raincoat and fleece inside rather than hanging on the outside.
I'm thinking, as you suggested, to set something like this up with a Hill People Gear Tarahumara. The Tara' will take a 3L hydration kit, and a fleece, etc. And the rest of the weight can be on my hips, with plenty of articulation in my hips and spine.

Thanks for the lengthy update!

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Weight without the 2kg of water is 4.5kg. Having itemised everything for this post, I can see there is built in redundancy. I also remembered why I have the batteries...for the GPS!
It is very comfortable both with and without the harness.
It's a functional set up and another advantage is that when using a rucksack without a waist belt, you can undo the shoulder straps on the rucksack and take some of the weight on the top of the belt order.
At times I have added another small pack to the belt, and sometimes when I carry water in a rucksack, I'll do without the belt water flasks. When walking with a longer jacket on, the belt kit really isn't that "in-your-face".

With the Tarahumara, I tend to use my heavy Camera and clip the case off the chest and shoulder straps this balances the weight of the pack, the shoulder harness straps are very good on the Tarahumara. The only things which I don't like about it are; no hydration hose opening and the fact if I use a water bottle in the side sleeves, the buckles rub on my spare tyre round the sides.

Last edited:

oncedisturbed

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Nice set up, carrying almost as much gear as I did out bush with ARes lol

You can get a Molle clip that holds the hydration tube, not very expensive.

When I'm mobile again, will reset my gear and post up pics.

I've moved away from a harness set up and use a load bearing vest and belt instead.

If I'm carrying a pack as well, it allows me to redistribute evenly amongst all 3 systems which stops a lot of pressure on the lower back and hips

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I agree with e weight redistribution. I have found it much easier on the lower back carrying the weight for longer walks in belt order rather than in a smaller backpack.
I think the reason, for me anyway, is that carrying a backpack I tend to lean forward, whereas with the weight on the belt I walk less like an ape and more like a human.

Last edited:

oncedisturbed

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
A lot of issues I've seen with people leaning toward is having their packs up to high and heavily laden at the top which pushes the neck and head forward causing the person to do likewise when walking.

Same applies in reverse when set to low causing a backward angle, usually happens when the pack sits on a belt kit EG traditional bum bag or utility pouches.

When I had my issued webbing, I set mine up with 2 Austeyer ammo pouches and 5 Minimi pouches.

I could carry more gear easier and be more comfortable as it was all "flat pouches" and distributed evenly around the webbing belt.

The bonus was the canteens and kidney cups fit the Minimi pouches nicely and didn't have to fight the normal pouches just to be able to take a drink

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
I think the reason, for me anyway, is that carrying a backpack I tend to lean forward, whereas with the weight on the belt I walk less like an ape and more like a human.
Said no Thrud, EVEEEER
:linguino:
Cheers
Bloffy

blacklion

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
What a great idea! I have a really bad lower back and the idea of a belt kit never crossed my mind! I was just about to buy a nice canvas pack but now I'm thinking I might change to a nice belt kit. Any ideas where you can pick them up? Preferably not ex military.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

oncedisturbed

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
There's tons out there to choose from, mine is based off of MilSpec / Airsoft gear and works a treat without a huge pricetag

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
The belt is Karrimor SF, the harness is mil spec from, I think an army surplus store in North Wales, the pouches are, maxpedition Roly-poly dump pouches, generic ones from Wellington surplus, one is from I think 5.11 and the bumbag was Voodo tactical. The belt is the most important part, I did use a police synthetic belt with early development, but once there was a bit of weight on it, it rotated and dug in. If you get a belt, you will need to check the number of attachment points so you can choose the right harness/yoke. Make sure that they send the correct buckle fixtures for the belt.