BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bivi opinion

AusTac

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I've actually got a plat bivi haha, there stuff it usually pretty good, key word being usually! They have some attitude in there though. As benny said a bit pricey too.

payney

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Cheers guys I'm off to work now but I'll have a look at more tonight when I get home.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Speaking as a bloke who always uses a goretex bivvy bag; Goretex, eVent; whatever the fabric;get the lightest possible bag and the simplest.
Next make sure it will fit over your sleeping bag without compressing the loft and make the decision as to whether or not you use the mattress system inside or outside of the bivvy when making your decision.
I use my Thermarest inside the bivvy and the CCF pad outside to protect the more fragile coated bottom of the bivvy, no matter what your decision a cheap CCF pad is a great investment and we should all carry one or two and a full length one plus a half length one covers most circumstances I am likely to meet.
A good bivvy bag is a 20 year + investment a cheapish one may only last a few years so pick a design that meets your real needs.

climbndrive

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
i have been waiting 15 years to replace my gortex bivy, given to me by a mate, had it stored an the rats decided gortex was a great nesting option opened up the bag and it was swiss cheese, but finally replaced it with a US milspec one from the states no antibug mesh but can add that later, $50 from the USA, gortex is finally back on the menu. Has anyone else got one of these?

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
I did look at them when CC and I were in the States, I thought they were very good value for car based camping but too bulky and heavy too put into my rucksack for every day mountain carry, I'm now wondering if there may be more than one variation on the build with some using lighter weight fabrics. The ones I looked at weighed about 1.1 kilos and felt like they were made from heavy taslan weight nylon and 100 gram proofed nylon on the bottom.
My "Foxhole UL " weighs 890 grams and sometimes that weighs too much

climbndrive

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
hey Chutes,thanks for the info ,checked the NSN numbers and its a match, aswell as that it only has one loose seam tape and i got it for $50 shipped, so feeling pretty happy.

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I have an Arktis DPM bivi bag and it is very good has a pole at the feet and you slide infrom the top has a head pole as well can be used with out the poles if you want a lighter option. Has bug net. but with all "Breathable" water proof fabric you can still get condensation inside so use a 2 season bag in it so you dont over heat. Plus take a tarp to set up over the top to give yourself a work/admin area and to keep other kit dry. Just think of them as mini swags and you cant go wrong.

The one I used in the army I had a thermarest mat roled up inside it so all I had to do was unroll and put in sleeping bag took mear seconds.