BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blade Sharpening.

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
using the back of your thumb nail is a great way to test for sharpness too - it's something I've migrated too. Not running the blade along the thumb nail; just rest the blade on your thumb nail and try to lightly move the blade (like a mm) up or down. If it's blunt the blade won't bite or grab. It is surprisingly good for testing degree of sharpness. Also for finding an area on the edge that needs more work. Then, of course, the shave.

I wish I had your skill with the stones Keith! That knife looks very functional.

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
using the back of your thumb nail is a great way to test for sharpness too - it's something I've migrated too. Not running the blade along the thumb nail; just rest the blade on your thumb nail and try to lightly move the blade (like a mm) up or down. If it's blunt the blade won't bite or grab. It is surprisingly good for testing degree of sharpness. Also for finding an area on the edge that needs more work. Then, of course, the shave.

I wish I had your skill with the stones Keith! That knife looks very functional.
Thank you for your comment Randall, very much appreciated.
Regards, Keith.