BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blankets

WildMind

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Anyone got any lightweight yet, warm blanket options? I have foil/emergency blankets, but am after something a little more snug.

DylanMC

Les Stroud
Reaction score
US Issue Poncho Liner is worth a look, as is the Kifaru Woobie and the warmer Doobie. Honestly, they are pretty much all for mild weather only but in theory they are good for summer so you can vent yourself and not overheat.

Lifecraft

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I got an 80% wool blanket from aussie disposals for $40. It feels rugged and unlikely that it'll wear out any time soon. But when I used it at home I didn't feel it all that warm.
I intentionally went to bed wearing my standard multiple layers including my warm jacket, and when I wrapped the blanket around me I think it squashed the dead air layer out making me feel like it's sucking the warmth out of me.
It kinda felt like wearing a wet blanket.... and I was quite disappointed.
I did test it pretty much in the middle of winter though. It was about 6 months ago.

I started to feel like I'd be better off scrapping the blanket and just sleeping in my multiple layers of clothing.
I do need to test it out more in different situations though before making a final decision about it's efficacy.

I picked up a cheap $20 light hiking sleeping bag from Aldi a few weeks ago (brand name is Adventure Ridge I think) and while it's quite snug (felt too snug at first), and the zipper failed after a few uses.... apart from that I actually quite like it. It doesn't zip up anymore but it's really light and compact and kept me warm when I've tested it.
Admittedly I've tested it warmer weather.

Now I use that cheap light Aldi sleeping bag kinda like a blanket, but it has a section I can slip my feet into and a hood I can put over my head. So the broken zipper isn't actually a major issue. I never liked having it zipped up anyway.

WildMind

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Thanks heaps LifeCraft! Yeah Aldi have some good stuff, i'll have to look into that.