BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird Blue-faced Honeyeater (Entomyzon cyanotis)

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Common Name: Blue-faced Honeyeater

Scientific name: Entomyzon cyanotis

Family: Meliphagidae

Order: Passeriformes

Other Names: Banana-bird

Distribution: northern and eastern mainland Australia,

Habitat:found in tropical, sub-tropical and wetter temperate or semi-arid zones. Mostly found in open forests and woodlands close to water. It is often seen in banana plantations, orchards, farm lands and in urban parks, gardens and golf courses.

Field Notes: large black, white and golden olive-green honeyeater with striking blue skin around the yellow to white eye. The crown, face and neck are black, with a narrow white band across the back of the neck. The upperparts and wings are a golden olive green, and the underparts are white, with a grey-black throat and upper breast. The blue facial skin is two-toned, with the lower half a brilliant cobalt blue. Juvenile birds are similar to the adults but the facial skin is yellow-green and the bib is a lighter grey. This honeyeater is noisy and gregarious, and is usually seen in pairs

Photos by Auscraft, 2011. My Yard, QLD

View attachment 915This pic is of a juvenile bird

Last edited:

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Gee mate you are getting the hang of that Camera now! Nice shot!

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
nice work mate, bloody hell do you live in an avery? Good range of birds around your place.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
No i don't just a rich wildlife area. Many more too come and from each different season.
We do have reptiles, frogs , insects, ferals and mammals too with the odd camel or two.
plants are the hardest thing too find on our property:)
We are farm land with very few plants other than what we plant, so for most my flora studies i do at national park at the back of property.

Believe it or not all pics of birds are taken from my front deck except 1 or 2 but from the house yard

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Common Name: Blue-faced Honeyeater

Scientific name: Entomyzon cyanotis

Picture of Adult of the species> Note the Blue around the eyes
Photo by Auscraft
View attachment 1144

Dusty

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Copy - DSC_6062.jpgCopy - DSC_6066.jpg
Race cyanotis. Location Ban Ban Springs, QLD

DSC_0002.jpg
Middle bird facial skin is turning blue so not far off becoming adult.Most likely nearing the age of 16 months when the facial skin does turns blue (Simpson & Day, 2010). There were 2 juvs and 2 adult in this group but could not get all of them in this photo.

The 3 races of the Blue-faced Honeyeater subspecies (races) and distribution:

"•griseigularis van Oort, 1909 - S New Guinea (Trans-Fly and Digoel region, from Merauke E to Wassi Kussa R) and N Australia (Cape York Peninsula, in N Queensland).
•albipennis Gould, 1841 - N Western Australia (Kimberley Division) E across Top End of Northern Territory (including Melville I) to extreme NW Queensland(Nicholson-Leichhardt rivers, on S Gulf of Carpentaria).
•cyanotis (Latham, 1801) - E Australia from base of Cape York Peninsula S (in Queensland E of Thomson-Barcoo Drainage Basin) to NC & NW Victoria (mainly along Murray R and N foothills of Great Divide) and in SE South Australia"

Handbook of the Birds of the World http://ibc.lynxeds.com/species/blue-faced-honeyeater-entomyzon-cyanotis)

Shown in distribution maps of Simpson and Day (p.198, 8th ed) and Morcombe (p.252, revised ed, 2010) field guides.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
These blue-faced honey eater chicks were raised in an abandoned grey-crowned babblers nest in a lemon tree.
They survived the worst storm we've had for many years
DSCF4834 (640x459).jpg