Borah Bivi Review

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Cityboy asked for a review of my bivi, so here it is!

I ordered a wide version of Borah's bivi bag.
It has 1.1oz silnylon as the floor and Pertex quantum as the top fabric. The zips are YKK.
When I received the bivi, I threw it on the scales and recorded 221g

I'm not impressed by the construction. The fabric has raw edges that have not been heat sealed, nor have the edges been folded under and sewn, as in a flat felled or french seam.
You can see the inside of the bivi in the first pic and the stuffsack in the second pic

bivi3.jpg bivi4.jpg

The materials themselves are top notch, as is the design.
I contacted the manufacturer regarding a refund. He was very polite and quick to respond, but said that after posting back, a"restocking" fee would be deducted. I cited the poor stitching and quality as the reason for the return, but no deal. After shipping costs and a restock fee, I wouldn't be getting much change from an $80 bivi, so I chose to keep it. It does work, the craftsmanship is just very, very poor.

The stuffsack also came without any means of closing it, such as a cord lock.

bivi1.jpg bivi2.jpg

Lesson learned, you get what you pay for!

Last edited:

Tas

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I bought an ausweb camo bivvy off a bloke on a fishing forum a couple of years ago like new for $30 , the retail was $240 great bit of gear , a little weighty at 1.3 kg but very well made in my opinion , and fits into my under 10kg bush bash kit nicely ( although I'm thinking of swapping to a hammock system this year ) .

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I'm not impressed by the construction. The fabric has raw edges that have not been heat sealed, nor have the edges been folded under and sewn, as in a flat felled or french seam.

Lesson learned, you get what you pay for!
Understatement of the day! That is disgusting mate. :ngazzat: Did you email him pics? I cannot believe people are charging others money for that kind of work :pugno:

Smarteee

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Hmmmm interesting. I ordered the bug bivy and 5.5x9' tarp three weeks ago. They haven't arrived yet. Will be intrigued to see the finish now that you've posted this. There aren't many other reviews around of his gear. Bit worrying.....

SimonM

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Man that is disappointing, it's a shame they wouldn't rectify at no cost to you. I once had a minor issue with a top quilt I purchased from another company in the states and I offered to fix it myself, I was offered money for my time to do so, but in the end they paid for shipment back to the USA and return, no cost to me.

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
My bivy is also about 1kg but it is very strong construction made by Arktis in the UK. They don't seem to make as much gear as they used to but very strong gear and well made.

SimonM

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
To be honest Wentworth given your other thread, with the gear you made, you could easily make a bivy like this one yourself and probably finish it better by the look of it.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Benny, he was very polite in his responses but simply said that they normally heat seal the edges, this one must have just missed out. They choose to simply sew these lazy looking seams for time reasons (paraphrasing).

Simon, I do have an idea of getting the quick-unpick and sewing it together myself. I am concerned about ripping the ultralight fabrics though.

Just frustrating. I now know why other gear manufacturers charge three times the price.

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
As you said mate, just trying to save time & no doubt money. As Simon said you could make it better yourself. I hope it still serves you well.

cityboy

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Thanks for the review Wentworth...
I feel bad for asking for a review.. knowing that it was almost a waste of $80

Mountainwalker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
That is disappointing! Hopefully you can fix it without too much hassle. Poor response from the maker even if he was polite, not really backing up the product.

Another cheap option for a Bivvy, is the Alpkit Hunka, bought one a few years ago and very happy with it. http://www.alpkit.com/hunka (But not as light the Borah).

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
I've been looking at the borax gear, especially the bug bivy. Might just hold up a little.

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
It is a bit much IMO for any business to charge postage for any returned item where the product is faulty. Bit of a double whammy for the buyer, product wrong,and costs more?

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Not to mention the restocking fee. Bloody outrageous under these circumstances.

Smarteee

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Hi Wentworth, just to let you know my Borah Bivy and Tarp showed up today. Aside from no draw cord locks on the stuff bags, it doesn't appear to have the same QC problems as yours. Maybe you just got unlucky and received a Friday Arvo model?!