BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

bracket fungus experiments

Chigger

Ray Mears
Reaction score
The tree fungus I collected not exactly sure what specis it is. When charred is very combustible and burns away very quickly. So have to be organised and nimble with my kindling to get a flame before it burns away.

Which is partly why I now only use the fungus as a help along when a spark lands on the tinder.

The tree fungus I have is creamy white in colour.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
sounds like white punk fungus, it will take a spark uncharted though I've found it somewhat spotty, I think it is all determined by the amount of moisture content in the fungus, the drier the better. Bone dry and it's magnificent and will take a spark from flint and steel uncharred.

Chigger

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I tried to get the fungus burning with flint and steel. Probably did not persist long enough so some time will have another go. Yes, that is the name, white punk fungus and it was well and truely dry when tried with flint and steel uncharred.

Will try again. Remember reading that Ice Age man Otzi was carrying fungus in his fire lighting pouch along with flint stones and iron pyrities.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Otzi was found with several types of fungus in his pouches, some thought to be used as medicines and others as tinders, I am assuming Chaga and horse hoof fungus.

Otzi is an inspiration and shows percussion fire lighting is at least 5000 years old.