BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building a primitive wattle and daub hut from scratch

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
Brilliant video, that was uploaded to Youtube recently.

Building a primitive wattle and daub hut from scratch

[video=youtube;nCKkHqlx9dE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCKkHqlx9dE[/video]

MercuryFMJ

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Is it legal to cut vegetation in Queensland? IIRC it is illegal to cut down anything at least in Victoria, even a dead standing tree.

Lifecraft

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Is it legal to cut vegetation in Queensland? IIRC it is illegal to cut down anything at least in Victoria, even a dead standing tree.

I don't know about the legal question but I would try to avoid cutting down any plant unless I can identify it as a pest species. Privet, lantana, etc. etc.
In some places I explore in the bush there's an enormous amount of fallen logs and sticks, so I would try to use them to build something.

If I really needed green wood I would try to only take a branch, so the rest of the tree keeps growing. Or if I absolutely need a tree trunk I would try take it above the lowest branch, because many plants should stay alive and re-sprout.
Also when taking green leafy vegetation such as palm fronds I would try to only take a few from each plant, making sure 3/4 of the fronds are left in tact.

I'd do my best to follow these principles even on private property where I have permission to use the natural resources.
Fairly sure it's possible to build a hut without cutting down any trees, at least in some places.

Last edited: