BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bunnings Fat Wood ....

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score
_IGP1843.JPG

1.8kg for $15 .........

I was driving past Bunnings and remembered FAT WOOD .......
So I dropped in .. They had some 3 pallets on the floor , so decent stock ? Don't know how popular a product it is ?
I guess on one hand it's expensive and on the other hand cheap !
If you spend $100 on fuel to drive out , labor your carcass off to uproot a stump .. Spend ? time carving it up ..
Just picking up a bag from Bunnings might be a lot less fun ( hassle ) .
I was going to play with fire , but it's just started raining so ............................
Plan is too see just how fat this wood is .. Weather permitting !

Timbo

Les Stroud
Reaction score
View attachment 29164

1.8kg for $15 .........

I was driving past Bunnings and remembered FAT WOOD .......
So I dropped in .. They had some 3 pallets on the floor , so decent stock ? Don't know how popular a product it is ?
I guess on one hand it's expensive and on the other hand cheap !
If you spend $100 on fuel to drive out , labor your carcass off to uproot a stump .. Spend ? time carving it up ..
Just picking up a bag from Bunnings might be a lot less fun ( hassle ) .
I was going to play with fire , but it's just started raining so ............................
Plan is too see just how fat this wood is .. Weather permitting !
Totally agree after spending a weekend looking for it in the wild. What I found wasn't as good as this stuff. It comes from Honduras and smells like turps. My bag had about half full of very sticky resin filled pieces.

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I just picked the darkest bag ( darkest / deepest colored wood ) .
Only took one stick out , almost feels like it has been lacquered . Certainly on the dry side .

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I've tested Bunning's fatwood extensively (buying many bags of it) and it is IMHO some of the best fatwood you can have. It consistently delivers premium fatwood which compares to the best fatwood I have tested from all over the world (Australia, America, New Zealand, Europe).

Concerning the cost, look at it this way unless you live near a pine forest and have easy access to free fatwood $15 for 1.8 kg of fatwood is cheap, remember this is trimmed fatwood, it is all fatwood in that bag, you won't throw anything away, it all burns well.

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Oh dear ! My new graphics card flushed one day down the toilet .
Nothing but problems ! Back to the old card & the new card can go back where it came from !

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Ok , so my new graphics card went back to the shop ! & Two days of my life wasted on problem solving ! ( problem still exists )

But I took some time to play with Bunnings Fat Wood .

What did I learn ?
A) I was using my small dinky ferro rod - Why ?
Because it simulates a little what it would be like in the bush , so Im making it harder than it needs be at home .
B) The Bunnings wood - the piece I pulled out of the bag - Is certainly a little dry .
And in the first part of the video I start with scrapings and after some effort lite them up .
C) Then I carve off some strips of wood and try to light them .. Now the pieces were on the dry side and I ended up pulling out a little hemp rope with petroleum jelly rubbed into it , well that was cheating ! The wood did snap crackle and pop once lit ( The resin I guess )
D) After carving that piece some I found some sticky wet patches that were more resin soaked and I carved off pieces from those areas . Still took some effort to light the Fat Wood , but light up it did ..

So what did I learn ..
Lesson One - Dont go bush with a Mickey Mouse Ferro Rod ( The more fire you can throw off the ferro )
Lesson Two - If your going to use Fat Wood , process it .. So you take FAT with resin wood with you , not the dry stuff !
Lesson Three - That hemp rope smeared with Petroleum Jelly - Just rules for fire starting ! Damned that stuff is trick ! ( And I have boat loads off it )

I can certainly see how fat wood would be handy . It burns hot and hard for wood and would work well starting less favorable wood ( wet / moist ) .
Hmmm , I thought that SS bowl might work for play ! I really need to find another biscuit tin lid to play on .

Last edited:

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Ok ... That first piece was a little resin dry !
I took another half dozen pieces out of the bag & they were Fat !

The little dinky ferro rod finally gave up the ghost and broke ..
So I pulled out a larger rod . Throws more spark / material .
And that larger rod did a better job ..
I stripped some of the fat wood ( half dozen ) and that wood fired up much better with the larger rod .

So yeah , dress your wood !
Leave the small dinky ferro rod at home ..
One stick of wood , looks like it will start quite a few fires for you ..
Under more challenging conditions , I would consider something to start the fat wood , that's more like 100% sure .
Play is play , but if it gets real , then ........................

Yamaotoko

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I've tested Bunning's fatwood extensively (buying many bags of it) and it is IMHO some of the best fatwood you can have. It consistently delivers premium fatwood which compares to the best fatwood I have tested from all over the world (Australia, America, New Zealand, Europe).

Concerning the cost, look at it this way unless you live near a pine forest and have easy access to free fatwood $15 for 1.8 kg of fatwood is cheap, remember this is trimmed fatwood, it is all fatwood in that bag, you won't throw anything away, it all burns well.
I'll be honest, the first time I saw fatwood in Bunnings a couple years ago I did have a quiet chuckle to myself... however, having spent the past week hunting (unsuccessfully!) for some useable fatwood in my local forest, I have changed my tune and started hunting in Bunnings instead, but it doesn't seem to be in any of the (Victorian) stores I've visited.

Now having put some time into trying to find it in the wild, I think your value statement is spot on!

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I went to the store on the corner of Warrigal RD and Centre Road ( small shopping Centre North f the intersection - is it 200 Meters ? )
They had 3 pallets ..
If you go onto the Bunnings website , they should list the stores with stock when you look at the product .

I checked and all the bunnings near me have it in stock .

Yamaotoko

Les Stroud
Reaction score
That’s great to know, thanks! I’ve been to five different stores over the past week or so (just popped in whenever I was travelling past, always a convenient loo-stop), from Lilydale to Frankston, and three others in between, I’ll have a look online to plan before I’m on the road next

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Bunning's is a bit spotty with its stock levels of products, and fatwood is definitely a seasonal product, mostly stocked in winter (for people to have fires)