BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bush Boomerang

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
given that the laws of physics don’t change with scale I fully intend to let it fly.

"You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and ... show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes." Morpheus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Similitude_(model)

Changing the scale of a model may mean that it will only behave like the original at a different set of conditions for fluid flow (temp, density, viscosity of the fluid). It will probably not be noticeable for small changes of scale here though. Looks good. Wonder if scale changes will help it fly better in those cold Scottish winters.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I was out for a walk in the woods yesterday to collect some sweet chestnuts for Xmas “ 5 quid a pop for 500g in the shops”, so coming home with an saving of 25 quid in my pocket I wiz already quite chuffed wee myself when I found this and defiantly my next project and no mistake, and what an ugly gnarly twisted stick it is, but hopefully there is a lovely bit of Beach in there, it looks a bit like a cross between one of those old bronze statues of the Norse pagan god Freyr and the skull o the big bug in the Alien movie.

It’s already quite flat end on and the deepest part in the pic is probably about 8-9 inches thick..

I’m going to cut it in the next day or two then leave it in the shed for about a year to season, and with a bit of luck it will end up a Throwing stick...

A nice find. Will you split it first, of dry in in one piece ?

Big Bill

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Jusr a tip, keep the underside polished and the topside a bit rough as this will aid lift

Aussie RND

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Found this very interesting, a 30,000 year old throwing stick from the Oblazowa cave in Poland, @ around 90cm long and about 800g in weight and made from a mammoth tusk.
The Oblazowa cave boomerang.
View attachment 13622
It looks big enough to hunt Cave bear and I’m guessing with a point like that if it hit the target end on it would probably go straight through, mind you if it missed the bear and flew in to the cave where it was found I probably wouldn’t want to go in there and get it back either...

On a more personal note, I’m still waiting to borrow a rasp from my mate to start shaping the stick in my last post above into an aerofoil, so in the meantime I'm having a wee “ and I mean wee” play with some Birch.

Some of the German Competition boomerang throwers have made a replica of this Tusk Hunting Stick. It flies very straight and true i have been told. On a side note the great Tutankhamun was buried with a collection of Hunting Sticks.
Just recently i visited QLD and met with Deadly returns Boomerang as to donate Competition Boomerangs for his club and also go through how to throw some of the competiton Boomerangs as some require (sometimes) to been shown how to throw but also to show what type of flight you are trying to achieve. It was good to meet Paul from Deadly returns and two youngsters who were already becoming very talented Comp trhowers. As a nice surprise Paul Showed me how to hunt Bats. I had seen a you tube clip of this some time back but Pauls technique was different. Deadly returns has a site that is worth a look!

Rubbing Elbows

Les Stroud
Reaction score
This guys got the 'Kylie' aka 'Karli' aka 'Bush Boomerang' down pat

[video=youtube_share;jFp6gpLiKAk]https://youtu.be/jFp6gpLiKAk[/video]

Here's one he makes from scratch.

[video=youtube_share;zGcg9m6Eabg]https://youtu.be/zGcg9m6Eabg[/video]

and in full action

[video=youtube_share;ukO8uF3K8yw]https://youtu.be/ukO8uF3K8yw[/video]

Last edited: