Bushcraft axe review

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I went back to the second hand store today and had a look at the other axe they had there. Sure enough it said plumb on the head.
Small head though , near half the size , and they had 65$ on it.
Maybe they're aware it's worth something.
On my first visit I thought it was expensive for an old axe.
Probably be treasure to someone out there.
I think that is the general consensus - that old axes are now overpriced. Plumb made lots of different axes - the one you saw may have been in the "boys axe" category. If that's your interest, have an idea of what the axe head originally looked like. I've seen some plumbs for sale that are very worn from a long life of sharpening - I could see the difference. Your hytest does not look worn. I think howling dingo has an interest in old axes. You might be able to show him a photo of something if you're interested in it. You could make an offer of what you would be comfortable paying for it too.

Last edited:

Kindliing

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I think that is the general consensus - that old axes are now overpriced. Plumb made lots of different axes - the one you saw may have been in the "boys axe" category. If that's your interest, have an idea of what the axe head originally looked like. I've seen some plumbs for sale that are very worn from a long life of sharpening - I could see the difference. Your hytest does not look worn. I think howling dingo has an interest in old axes. You might be able to show him a photo of something if you're interested in it. You could make an offer of what you would be comfortable paying for it too.
I'm happy with what I have, here's a couple pics I took of it . It says plumb U s a on the head. Your right about that too , it being worn well down on one side of the edge more than the other , complete with a split un usable handle.

The little fella next to it is the smallest I've seen, about 4 inches wide the head. 2726027261

Keep in mind this phone makes things close seem big , and far away things seem small. It's a small plumb head despite the aspect here.

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
You got the good axe :) That little one looks as though it has been re purposed, as though it was ground down in an attempt to make it a useful hatchet.