BushcraftOz Upgrade Coming 29/03/2019

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First of a big thank you to all the members as well as those who have generously donated to the forum. You know who you are :)

I wanted to let everyone know that I have a pretty big upgrade to the forum in the works behind the scenes. The upgrade will involve a move to a faster and more reliable hosting service as well as new forum software which will bring new features as well as a number of quality of life improvements for users. I will address some of the details below.

New Hosting

What does it mean?
A faster more reliable forum with far greater storage for images and other media. We will have vastly increased high speed storage with plenty of buffer for the future. Importantly this means more storage and faster access for sharing images on the forum. Behind the scenes we will have better options for keeping the forum reliable and backed up.

What at do I need to do?
Nothing. Just enjoy the better performance when the switch over happens.

New Forum Platform
I will be migrating the forum to a new platform. I have been monitoring the latest version of vBulletin for over 2 years now but have made the decision that it’s not going to be the best choice going forward. The current forum is patched together with a number of custom workarounds and addons that makes it buggy at times and not always fast as and stable as I would like. The new upgrade will provide more ease of use, performance and reliability. Additionally I am also working on a number of unique features that have been on the back burner for a number of years and the switch of platform allows those ideas to become possible. I will be working on rolling these out after we have moved to the new site. More on that at a later date :)

I want to be clear that the number one priority here is providing the least amount of disruption to you all. I know what it is like having to learn a new forum layout when you are already used to the current layout.

The forum will receive a well overdue facelift have full support for all our mobile device users. No apps required. While the look will change somewhat, and there will be new features I am being very careful to ensure the layout is still what you expect from a classic forum. Threads will all stay the same, content and post count will all carry over and most things will be more or less in the same place. I have put a lot of focus into making sure the transition is smooth and the new interface is easy to pick up.

What do I need to do on the day?
Nothing all your posts, logins and passwords will transfer over

When?
5:30pm on the 29th March 2019

How Long?
5 Hours. In order to ensure no posts are lost the forum will need to close for a period of time while we transfer to the new system. I am aiming to have the forum down for no less than 5 hours. When it returns you will see the new one and be able to log straight in. There is always a chance that I will need to extend this time-frame but I will keep users notified with a notice on this forum.

I apologise for any inconvenience this downtime will have. I will keep everyone updated in this thread. In the meantime, enjoy a sneak peak of whats to come by clicking here.

Last edited:

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
if you need any help just say the word. thanks heaps for spending your time on this!

barefoot dave

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Good onya Blake. Take 5 days if that's what's needed to continue growth. Thanks again.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent stuff, will check it out when I return home, heading to New Zealand in a weeks time for lots of hiking, kayaking ... back mid April :sorrriso:

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Just when you get use to it, there they go and change it on ya ! :;):

Last edited:

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Excellent stuff, will check it out when I return home, heading to New Zealand in a weeks time for lots of hiking, kayaking ... back mid April :sorrriso:
Have a wonderful trip Mozzie

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Blake, as always, you continue to go above and beyond. Love what you are planning. The tech stuff confuzzles me but keep up the good work. If you are going to be out of pocket, don't be afraid to ask. If we all give a little, it will keep the costs down.
Hey Mozzie, my ticket must have got lost in the mail. Enjoy anyway.
Cheers
Bloffy