BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Butchering a deer with only a flint blade

GGTBod

Russell Coight
Reaction score
In this video Will Lord makes a flint blade with one hit from a hammer stone on a large flint nodule and then seconds later uses this to process half a muntjac deer for us to eat that evening, you will be amazed how sharp a first strike flint tool can be.

I sat amazed trying to carve whilst watching as he field dresses / butchers the male muntjac deer using just a flint stone age (first strike) knife literally seconds after releasing the bladed edge from a huge nodule of flint rock.

This was shot whilst i attended the Primitive Carving Workshop ran by Will Lord and Scott Knight, it was a genuinely amazing experience and i can hardly wait for the next one in March which i have already booked a place on

I am in awe at just how sharp a flint knife can be, i have since learnt that this is because the sharp edge can literally be the thickness of a molecule, in other words this makes a high carbon steel cut throat razor fresh off the strop seem blunt in comparison.

If you can not handle seeing wild game being processed please do not watch this video.

[video=youtube;ZPuSDeZNJjk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPuSDeZNJjk[/video]

GGTBod

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Thanks Keith, i was genuinely amazed seeing the flint perform as it does, watching this work whilst shooting and then editing the video has ignited a real fire to learn more, i was already keen to immerse myself more into the Neolithic and the more practical hands on stuff i learn the more i am loving it