Buying global compass internationally

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm looking at picking up a Suunto global baseplate compass from the US and saving over half the price. Does anyone know if there would be issues having it shipped here, ie. would it be exposed to strong magnetic forces that could mess it up during customs/ scanning?

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
It shouldn't be a problem, however, if you contact the customer service for the store, and ask them to mark the package "Navigational Instrument inside, DO NOT X-Ray, manual inspection only" it shouldn't be an issue. It will delay your package a little, perhaps a couple of days but it will be safer...

Steve

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
It shouldn't be a problem, however, if you contact the customer service for the store, and ask them to mark the package "Navigational Instrument inside, DO NOT X-Ray, manual inspection only" it shouldn't be an issue. It will delay your package a little, perhaps a couple of days but it will be safer...
I used to work for DHL express so ill give a little info...

Usually big accounts like boston scientific, GE medical (big medical corps) have precedence when it comes to do not xray so they will usually bundle all "do not xray" into these types of consigments, but there will be a surcharge. Would definetly be worth if you are bringing in a global compass.

I used to unpack international express freight and they put clearly marked stickers on the containers "DO NOT XRAY". And they dont get xrayed but if you are not a big corp like boston scientific then your shipment will be put into bond and that may take a few days to inspect.

Bloozz

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Hey Wentworth.
I was thinking of getting one of the global compasses too, for my trip to the USA in May (not that I know too well how to use a compass yet - will consult my ebooks when the time comes I guess). I didn't really think that there might be issues in getting it shipped here. If you're concerned about it and don't need it until after June I'd be happy to pick one up for you.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Bloozz, very kind of you! I'll investigate a bit further regarding shipping, and see what I find, but I may take you up on that, thanks again.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Be aware tho that ALL luggage leaving or entering the USA is X-rayed so you will need to carry on as personal and REQUEST a manual inspection and give the reasons why in a nice polite voice
Just out of interest how do those global compasses work??
I am not familiar with them and apart from the declination how do they balance the needle??

Last edited:

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
The Global Needle system is designed to allow up to 20 degrees of needle tilt without losing accuracy of the reading, effectivlly making it a "Universal" zone compass.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
I ended up picking this compass up locally. Now that I compare it to my old Silva Field, I can't believe I've been using such rubbish for 10yrs. The silva's needle points north, but the bearing is "sticky", so that you can rotate the compass housing 180 degrees, on a table (completely flat) and the needle won't spin back to north unless you give it a knock.
The Suunto is pretty forgiving as regards keeping it flat. Should get a chance to use it in the bush this weekend.
I've managed to nav with the old silva well enough, but it is temperamental. And a compass is kinda important.

Bloozz

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
OK - Glad you got one. Where and how much? I don't expect to 'need' the compass in the US but thought I would just carry one. I also have a GPS that I'll have with me.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just out of interest how do those global compasses work??
I am not familiar with them and apart from the declination how do they balance the needle??
The needle is actually not balanced on a pin like a traditional compass and the needle not magnetized at all. The needle is attached to a small disc in the centre of the compass which is whats magnetized. This disc is also what provides the dampening which means that this compass has really nice control and is very accurate and easy to read. The needle can tilt somewhat but it is limited by small tabs on the side of the needle.

It's a slightly more complicated design but reliable and hugely accurate. They are great compasses.

Last edited:

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
OK - Glad you got one. Where and how much? I don't expect to 'need' the compass in the US but thought I would just carry one. I also have a GPS that I'll have with me.
I bought it from paramedicshop.com.au or something similar. They are in Rozelle, so you could save yourself postage if you wanted to drop in and pick it up. Around $75.