BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Campsite selection

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought it'd be interesting to start a list of attributes we look for when choosing a campsite.
I'll start the list with:
at least 20m up from the valley floor to avoid the cold air (and mozzie breeding sites)

Whacha got?

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
Good idea and good start Wentworth.

* Even half a metre above a creek can make a big difference. Sometimes you can see the misty cold air flowing by.

Nice list Dusty..I'll add;

* Not where rain could potentially funnel to.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Absolute #1 'must have' necessity when selecting a camp site - as far away from any B _ _ t _ _ d listening to the football on his radio as is humanly possible. If I cant achive that then making sure there's a suitably safe backdrop to prevent overflight of projectiles when shooting at said radio.

Bill.

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
Good point, bartn.... * Away from people! ... mind you, the boring drone of Cricket commentary is worse IMO. A group of 4WDers pulled up next to us one time to admire the view with that shit blaring and disturbing our peace.

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Flat ground (for ground dwelling camps), in walking distance of water, plenty of down wood for the fire, away from animal trails and insect nests, far enough off human trails and tracks to avoid visitors...

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
flat grass land(if possible), not under any possible tree limb that may fall (under wind etc), far enough away from water so flooding isn't an issue, off game trails, Away from any other people. Pretty much like everyone else.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I like to make a camp next two a fallen tree makes getting firewood easy.

BushChef

Karen Hood
Staff member
Reaction score
I like to be as far away from people as possible.. I love hammock camping because it enables you to do this more easily. It also allows you to -
- Camp almost anywhere off track (just got to watch those large dead trees and their large branches)
- Easily camouflage your set-up to avoid being spotted, giving you the privacy you want
- Explore and discover places most people probably haven't been (always being careful to minimise your impact as much as you can)
and... most importantly...
- Be as far away from PEOPLE as possible!
:;):

Dusty

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I like to be as far away from people as possible.. I love hammock camping because it enables you to do this more easily. It also allows you to -
- Camp almost anywhere off track (just got to watch those large dead trees and their large branches)
- Easily camouflage your set-up to avoid being spotted, giving you the privacy you want
- Explore and discover places most people probably haven't been (always being careful to minimise your impact as much as you can)
and... most importantly...
- Be as far away from PEOPLE as possible!
:;):

Totally agree with you Bushchef being away from people. Sadly can't do hammock camping in national forests in QLD, privately owned land next best thing. Like the idea being off the ground, too many creepy crawlies, snakes etc for my taste.

koalaboi

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Here's an intangible criterion: it has to feel "right."

You have to use your intuition at times in the bush. Ask an Aboriginal loreman....he'll tell to you to listen to your gut feeling every time.

KB

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
We tend to gravitate towards remote areas, away from tracks, so being around others is not an issue for us. Though, we still tend to look for:

Well draining areas – on sand or a slight slope = no pooling of water around camp or under the tents if a downpour happens.

2. O
n the ‘correct’ side of a creek or river in case it floods overnight.

Close enough to clean water so getting it isn’t a hassle, but not so close to make it dangerous.

Depending upon the climate, we’ll opt for a site that gets a breeze to carry away the campfire smoke and avoid dew settling on the tents. In snow the opposite to avoid wind-chill. Similarly, in summer we look for a shaded area, in winter a sunny one that gets the sun first thing in the morning = to dry the dew off the tents so they pack as dry as possible.

Away from wombat burrows and rock outcrops – both tend to hide nasty crawlies (ticks, funnel webs and snakes).

Away from major animal pads (tracks).

7. A
voiding overhead tree branches can be very difficult inclosed canopies, so I just ensure the branches look in good condition and not sprouting out horizontally – either slanted up or down depending upon the species.

8. Check the surrounding site for vulnerable species like ground orchids, etc so they don’t get trampled. Also make sure the camp isn’t on, or within the vicinity of, an ants nest!

Avoid damp areas – leeches, mould spores, rotten wood, etc.

The camp site should also have a good supply of fallen timber for a fire, wood big enough to use as seating makes it even more pleasant. A natural depression in the ground also helps to contain the fire and ensures the coals remain hot through to the next morning.

A view of the surrounding area is a bonus.

I agree Koalaboi - most of this stuff is done intuitively after a bit of experience.

Last edited:

dmm

Russell Coight
Reaction score

I find this point interesting. In my experience people camping are all looking for a bit of privacy, and even where you have defined camp sites, people tend to take the spot furthest from everyone who's already there.

If I came across a camouflaged campsite, I suppose I would give it a wide berth, so mission accomplished I guess :)

scrumpy jack

Russell Coight
Reaction score
yes absolutly. Something between snug and breath taking.
The inate feeling of absolute connection (snug) and the feeling of almost not being able to comprehend the beauty of what you see before you (breath taking).
The best part is when you get that you are connected to the natural beauty at a deep level.

I should be so lucky as to wax lyrical about these components to do any justice. I would be a rich man.......or may be i already am?
Here's an intangible criterion: it has to feel "right."

You have to use your intuition at times in the bush. Ask an Aboriginal loreman....he'll tell to you to listen to your gut feeling every time.

KB

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I find this point interesting. In my experience people camping are all looking for a bit of privacy, and even where you have defined camp sites, people tend to take the spot furthest from everyone who's already there.

If I came across a camouflaged campsite, I suppose I would give it a wide berth, so mission accomplished I guess :)

Yeah I usually go the complete opposite route for the same reason.
Everyone likes to get away from he crowds so I find if my camp is easilly seen then most people tend to avoid camping near me.
I also llike people to know where I'm camping for the sake of safety.
Deer hunting in the high country does carry some risks with it & should anything adverse ever happen I'd like to think authorities wont have any trouble finding my camp.
Gives them somewhere to start looking for me.

Bill.

Blackhawk

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Camping up away from a stream has it's other advantages.During the deer rut,you can hear and locate grunting/roaring much better.And better still if you don't sleep in an enclosed shelter.Other sounds carry better too,hopefully not trail bikes and yobbos.