BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carving project- Kuksa

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
On a walk in some local rainforest, I found a downed piece of Coachwood that looked like it would make a good carving project.

I hadn't done much carving in the past few years, and had given away both of my hatchets, but luckily still had a silky saw and a few moras:

20220103_183111.jpg

I took the piece home and sawed it to a good length:

20220103_183148.jpg

Then using the saw, I cut out the rough shape, before using the green mora to baton down to a more manageable size:

20220103_183159.jpg

I then used the spoon knife and small mora to hollow out a bowl, before sanding and oiling:

20220103_183126.jpg

It was good fun, but if I keep carving, it's definitely time to pick up another hatchet! I think it would have saved a few hours work.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
good solid project Aris, would have kept you busy for a while and lots of concentration scooping out the bowl :giggle:

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Peter, it's nice to find a bit of spalting and defined grain coming through :)

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
That's beautiful - well done! I agree, the wood with the spalting is stunning.

I still have one I started years ago at one of the meets, but never finished (it's at a stage between your third and last picture) and the wood has gone rock-hard. I keep looking at it wondering whether I could use some power tools on it, but should really take the time to sharpen my hook knife properly.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Was that the 2013 meet at Blake's property?
I remember there was some downed poplar that got turned into spoons and kuksas.
I think I remember both you and Taplow Jnr doing some carving that time?

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Was that the 2013 meet at Blake's property?
I remember there was some downed poplar that got turned into spoons and kuksas.
I think I remember both you and Taplow Jnr doing some carving that time?
Yes, I think that was the one. The spoons turned out well but the kuksa has been a work in progress ever since!