BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Caves by candle light

Chigger

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Did a over night camp in a cave a few days ago. With tripod and a very slow shutter took a couple of candle light photos.

Using just the light of the fire and candle lights.

IMG_6145_1.JPG

Assisted by flash light.

IMG_6146_1.JPG

Am always surprised by the light given by candle lights. One is a Northern Lights now UCO, the other is a excellent South African Bushlite.

The fire was lit with flint and steel using the same techniques as my last cave thread.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a great camp cave Chigger. It's very smooth rock-is it sandstone?

Chigger

Ray Mears
Reaction score
It is granite rock which contains silica, mica and feldspar. At night glitters in the light.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
The looks lovely.
I can imagine the light dancing on the walls.

The "ring" created by the lanterns reminds me of rock act:
Some archeologists speculate that viewing cave art by candle light adds an extra dimension
As the light flickers, some figures appear animated ...

Chigger

Ray Mears
Reaction score
The candle lights certainly give quite an atmosphere in the darkness of night. In ancient times all the cave dwellers whom made art would have used slush or similar lights to do their work.

Although the flash light did bring up some charcoal scrawled graffiti left by some previous visitors. Which was not really evident by natural light.