BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charred sawdust as tinder. A home practice run.

Chigger

Ray Mears
Reaction score
A while back did some sanding on a small piece of furniture and ended up with quite a bit of sawdust. This was put into an old tobacco tin and baked on one of the burners on my gas stove.

Baked the sawdust until it was a dark black/brown.

DSC00190.JPG

Next sprinkled the sawdust onto a piece of red stringybark along with some crumbled white bracket fungus. This readily took the spark from flint and steel, soon was smouldering freely.

DSC00201.JPG

A bit of huffing and puffing soon burst into flame.

DSC00203.JPG

Was quite pleased with the exercise as charred sawdust is very light and easy to transport on a outdoors trip in a rucksack. The only downside is sawdust is a bit fiddly to use, care has to be taken and at a windy place the firelighting would have to be done in a sheltered spot.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Could you add a small amount of vaseline to get to a slightly clumped consistency that would not blow away and might improve the time of burning?

Chigger

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Think adding vaseline would inhibit the sawdust taking a spark. Vaseline as a substance is not particulry inflamable. The spark from flint and steel is not as hot as a spark as from a ferro rod.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Try Vaseline cotton wool balls! Extremely flammable; petroleum jelly. I think it'll work....if it doesn't I owe you a beer!

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Good discovery Chigger, I'll have to try this out.

It reminds me of a post Le loup did a few years ago using punkwood to catch a spark too.

Chigger

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Yes charred punkwood is a good tinder and is what I normally use with a tinderbox. Some years ago was lucky to find a large rotted she oak log which I gleefully cut up and brought home.

My firelighting revolves around natural materials gathered from the bush. Along with flint and steel.