BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cheap side pouches?

Swannie

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hi all,

After damaging some gear that was attached to the outside of my bag, I've been looking at a couple of pouches that I can attach (if extra space required) to store gear in.

I've seen a few designed for miliary systems that look like they'd do the job, but not a big fan of camo. Spotted a couple on AliExpress that would do the trick too... just wondering if anyone knows of an Aus manufacturer/stockist?

(Yes, I'm aware I might need a larger backpack, but I flexiblity, and the ability to add a bit of extra storage to the top of a bag for canyoning, to store a rope, or slings, etc, would be awesome).

kiwibro

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Platatac. Based in Melbourne. I think they get their stuff made on china or some such place. Can get some good deals through their fleabay store. Also a lot of Molle pouches on the old fleabay in olive and tan or black. And some good stuff out their too.

Lifecraft

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Not sure about an aussie manufacturer but I bought a bunch from ebay for between $4-$15 each and I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting lower quality.
I use them for:
- emergency kit (first aid, sewing kit, tape, plus some compact backup shelter items such as emergency blanket and clear poncho)
- hiking electronics kit (USB battery chargers and USB cable for charging my phone, my folding solar panel is a bit too big to fit in)
- hygiene kit
- headlamp pouch (this is in one of the smaller pouches and it's a perfect, albeit snug fit)
I also have a few more, I'm still trying to decide what to put in them. After being impressed by the first 2 I bought I went and bought about 4 or 5 more (various types) then experimented to see what gear fit into them.

Examples:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MOLLE-Mi...rekking-Waist-Belt-Pouch-CS-Bag-/231554446936
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Unisex-O...y-Sundries-Waist-Belt-Pouch-Bag-/231551638882
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Canvas-M...ng-Utility-Waist-Belt-Pouch-Bag-/301487358040

I prefer the ones with zippers rather than velcro, but the velcro ones aren't too bad. For my hygiene kit it's handy having a bar of soap in the velcro pouch section so it's easier to get out when my hands are dirty.
The velcro ones I probably wouldn't put on the outside of my pack though, especially if bush bashing, because it could get pulled open by a branch or something.

Just search "molle belt pouch", "hiking belt pouch", or "bushcraft pouch" on ebay and you'll find a stack of them. There are a bunch of different types and sizes at that low price, and some more types if you want to pay a bit more.
Most of them come in tan/sand, olive green and black, as well as various camo colors. I prefer the plain earthy colors (such as green and tan/sand) but I do have a few camo colored and black ones as well (I like each similar pouch to be a different color for easy ID).

The only downside to some of them is that the straps on the back are a bit short. That makes it fiddly to do them back up after you've attached them to your belt or pack, but it's not impossible.
To attach them to my belt I would just undo my belt and slide it through, rather than trying to attach it to my belt by undoing the straps.
I don't consider that a huge issue though, especially if you don't plan on removing them and re-adding them too often.

Another option if you want larger pouches is the ones from aussie disposals (I got 4 for about $5 each, and really like them). I think they're ALICE style, which is a bit heavier (due to the metal buckles and heavy duty material) but they're so tough they should last forever.
I like the metal buckle on the back because it's easy to attach to my haversack strap or backpack strap without them sliding. Having one on each side of my haversack greatly increases the carry space. I can add all 4 to my haversack but it starts to get a bit cumbersome because the ones higher up wobble around more than the ones which rest against the edge of the haversack.
It's handy being able to move them between my haversack and back pack, depending on what I'm doing. The smaller ebay ones aren't as good for attaching to a strap, and are better off being attached to a belt or molle webbing on a pack.

This is them:
http://www.aussiedisposals.com.au/pouch-basic-khaki-used
And I also got one of these for one of my fire kits:
http://www.aussiedisposals.com.au/military-compass-pouch

I use the larger ones for:
- hiking gas cooker kit (fits a standard gas canister and a folding Furno gas stove attachment, as well as ferro rod, lighter, and some rags for clean up)
- drinks/cooking kit (a SS cup, hobo stove, and some tea, coffee, and hot chocolate, plus some tinder and oil for cooking)
- cordage kit (fits quite a lot of cordage, enough for setting up shelters as well as rolls of twine for fire starting and natural material crafts, and still has a bit of room to spare)
- tool kit (compact fishing kit, folding saw, knife, torch, etc.)

Last edited:

cityboy

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
anyone know where you can find the straps for molle pouches ??
bought a pouch but doesn't have the molle on the back to attack to my belt or pack ?

odgens

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Crossfire were selling packs of two tan pouches for $15 awhile back, grabbed a couple for my SR20. Made in china but the quality seems ok, not overly heavy which is good

Thrud - Be careful of those packs, the zippers are shocking...a mate bought two of them on the recently special and one zipper has already let go. Replaced with a YKK it would be a decent bag for the price

DJ*

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
A few suppliers like Platatac and others around oz, but we get most of ours now from the UK via SOF. Shipping is fast, service great choice brilliant and GST free. Loads of side pouches and belt kit stuff, some combat style, but black and other civi suitable styles too. Karrimore SF are great quality, but many other lighter and cheaper versions too. The SOF website also displays the weight in grams, which is always crucial for us. ..DJ

Lifecraft

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score

If you do a search for "webbing roll" you get some results. Google it then click "shopping". Or maybe try ebay or other sites.

Just need to check that the width matches the standard molle webbing width.
I tried "molle webbing roll" and didn't get much (lots of slightly related results but no rolls of webbing on the first few pages of results).

Are you wanting to stitch your own straps onto the pouch?
I've never done that but I'm guessing there are some people on BCOZ who have, who might be able to provide some tips.

If it has webbing on the front it might be possible to wrap some strips of webbing all the way around the pouch without stitching, attached to the front using the standard molle weaving approach, then use part of the added webbing on the back to attach to your belt or pack. Don't know how well that would work, or even if it would, but might possibly help you avoid the need to stitch anything if it does.
You could stitch the webbing to itself so it's a fixed loop, to make it stronger. That'll still be simpler than stitching it to the pouch itself, and avoids the risk of damaging the pouch. (If you mess up the stitching on the webbing just cut another piece and try again.)

Last edited:

odgens

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
bought a pouch but doesn't have the molle on the back to attack to my belt or pack ?

If you're attaching the pouch to molle webbing i'd recommend Malice clips from Tactical Tailor...easy to use, very secure and you can get bulk packs from ebay