BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coal Burning

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Bushchef and I went out in the bush today for some crafting. We used both the hand drill and the bow drill which is always good fun.

While lunch was on the boil, I had a go at some coal burning. I've used it once before for the bowl of a ladle where it worked fairly well.
I carved a divot into a chunk of wood and moved a few embers from our fire into it. Using a piece of tubing (thanks Darren) I blew through it onto the embers.
Unfortunately with this one I rushed the burning process. Fine cracks developed in the wood which meant that it was no longer water tight. I remember when working on the ladle that I had to go very slowly, burning a little then scraping it away before burning again.

I had planned to keep going with this one until I had a long trough, then find some stones and give stone boiling a try.
Next time!

burn1.jpgburn2.jpgburn3.jpg

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm keen to give this a try too, just haven't had the time for a while.

You may be able to rub some clay into the cracks to seal them, if they are small ?

darren

Templar
Reaction score
Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to l
Just thinking about this as i have never done it, an issue would be the rapid drying of the wood close to where it was burning. This would account for the cracks i suppose.
It will be interesting to see how this progresses
I guess whan you filled the bowl with water the wood may swell enough for them to be less of an issue.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Clay and water might be the go regarding the cracks. Ideally I would have been more patient and only burned out half as much before scraping the charred material away. I used a piece of sandstone for the scraping, which worked well.
I left it out there, but I can always head back out on the weekend and see if repeated dousing closes the cracks.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Good effort mate. Something I would like to try one day. I saw this video a while back on making a bowl with this method and thought I would add it here:

[video=youtube;HmW9Q70OtjI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmW9Q70OtjI[/video]

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Nice one guys n gals - I have wanted to try this on one of those huge agave(???) stalks and saw one the other day totally dead and dried, so I should go and get it.