BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Columbia SA71 Preview ( then a review )

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score
_IGP1789.JPG
_IGP1794.JPG
_IGP1795.JPG
_IGP1797.JPG

Columbia SA71 = $40 knife

A) Sheath is rubbish
B) Factory bevel was rubbish

Lets start with the factory edge/bevel . It was complete rubbish !
Both sides of the edge were at different angles . On one side with my guided knife sharpener set to 22 degrees . The sharpening stone was cutting the very edge . On the other side the stone was cutting the very shoulder of the bevel were it transitions to the main blade . We are talking whack ! I put my 60 grit wheel onto the wet stone grinder as I was looking at removing some 5 to 10 years worth of steel to correct what was a ridiculously bad factory grind ( bevel ) .
It was a lot of work and I had no intention of doing a 60 grit edge on this knife , but circumstances being what they are ! So after a lot of work , the SA71 wears a freshly ground edge / bevel ground with the 60 grit wheel . Looking at the pictures , there is still some tell tale black marker .

Tang ... It looks like the tang is about 35% of the blade ( can be clearly seen in the pictures ) ... I would not call this one a bushcrafty knife or a survival knife , but I might be tempted to throw around words like hunting knife . I dont know what the handle material is or how strong it might be , so I would not suggest this knife was a beater ! But for relatively sane low stress work it should be fine .

Yeah , it wears a 60 grit edge now ! I didn'y want that ... So rather than sharpening the knife - again ! I guess I will just have to slice rope as is , which will kind of FUBAR the point of buying and testing this knife . I may as well start at 60 and work my way up ( I suppose ) .

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Aaaargh ! Some days !

Ok , back to the rope !
250 slice fail with a rolled edge ..
WTPL ( What the Parking Lot )

????????
I decided to get the guided knife sharpener out .
And put down a 22 degree bevel .. ( secondary bevel )
The edge chipping !!!!!! = ????? Hu !!!

Ok , so looks like the wet stone grinder lay down a all mighty BUR !
One that would s not strop away .

So out with my new Guided Knife Sharpener ..
And I lay down a 600 Grit Diamond cut 22 degree bevel .
Which was then cleaned up with a 1500 grit Oxide Stone .
May be Bur rest in peace ! ( I hope )

Looks like I have to do this again ! ( Cut rope )