Compass - Wrist Band Advice please

Brumby53

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Hi Folks, following on from Lightswitch's Compass thread. Looking to buy a 'reasonable quality' Compass to slip on my watch wrist band.

I have just had a look at both Wildearth and Mainpeak but neither have them.

Firstly is there such a thing a a wristband Compass that is "Reasonable Quality" ???- not looking a a top of the range dive compass - just something middle order but NOT those $8 ones out of Hong Kong/China on Ebay either.
If yes ... recommendations and places to buy - preferably here in Aussie please.

Looking for something to have with me all the time when I am out and about to confirm my own observations. In the bush I am pretty good and if on a proper outing will always have a good compass with me... but when I head to the 'Big Smoke' I have sometimes got 'bushed' :mad: I came out of Wynyard Station not so long back facing 180 degrees from where I thought I was. (By the way I am not expecting a compass to actually work at Wynyard :confused:)

I had a relatively cheap Suunto some years back and it worked 'okay' but eventually clouded up.Suunto .jpgSilva .jpg Pics for inspiration only - 'borrowed' from the interweb.

Any advice appreciated - also if you have such an item you want to sell - make it easy for me with a PM

Thanks in anticipation Derek

Last edited:

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
I have had a Silva on my watch for a few years. its been good. just recently it reversed polarised and im not sure why. will get a magnet and see if I can fix it. For general direction stuff it is good. Even if I have a true compass I will do quick checks with my Silva.
Cheers
Bloffy

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I've got some of these from Cam's cords, http://www.camscords.com.au/accessories/compass
He also has some small compasses with base plates as well as zipper pull compasses.

Dennis ( another top bloke) has small compasses (survival supplies Australia)
They both provide a good service and I've used them on a number of occasions.

If you want a bomb-proof compass which won't cloud up or bubble at altitude changes then a NATO Peyser compass is a very expensive option, but there are no attachment points ( it is luminous though)

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I have had the silva and it just failed on me after about a month of being knocked about. I now have the Suunto and can not fault it is had been banged about inside car wrecks while im working on people it retains a good glow at night for about 4 hours the fact you can clip it to maps and other straps is a great feature.
the NATO Peyser is good but it is aimed at military survival kits (SAS, ARMY, RAF etc) as an E&E compass it is also been made with the idea that you can hide it where the sun does not shine incase you get captured also it was able to withstand washing machines as some forget that it was sewn in to our combat trousers.
So until they can make something of that quality that you can wear on a watch ill stick with my Suunto.

Hope that helps.

Brumby53

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Hope that helps Sure does SWAMPY thanks it's pretty much the one I had landed on. There is a Guy up your way (Maryborough) Calls himself outdoorsadventuregear _au on Ebay has them for $29.95 plus post Which is the best Aussie deal I have found so far. Does that sound about right to you?

Smead

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I'd say that Suunto posted in the first thread is your best bet. The Silva are good but I got an old dodgy one from Rays and they don't appear to make them any more. LE Gear had a decent one for around $10

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hope that helps Sure does SWAMPY thanks it's pretty much the one I had landed on. There is a Guy up your way (Maryborough) Calls himself outdoorsadventuregear _au on Ebay has them for $29.95 plus post Which is the best Aussie deal I have found so far. Does that sound about right to you?
That is where I got mine from. Julie is the owner and she is great at getting stuff you need.