BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Considering selling swag for bivvy

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
... the RIDGE RAIDER. The MASTER is great for taller people, as it is a good length, it's very durable, fast tp put up, is off your feet and legs, very waterproof and wind proof and easier to get in and out of. It even has a small awning and room for your Bergen (just) or essential gear at least. It was certainly getting a good review from the recent user and it weighs in at about 1kg. ....

One chap I've hiked with a couple of times has one (not sure which). I think he had some issues with condensation, but was still very pleased with it
(I think he was able to control the condensation - he probably just allowed better ventilation, but I didn't ask him)

DJ*

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Probably hijacking MCJ88 thread now as I know he had a budget and these are not cheap. I have seen a few of the RAB RAIDERS about and tried one sometime back (just for one night in good weather so not a good test). At the time it seemed good, but not really that many more benefits than my Mil Tech or Snugpack. This MASTER though sounds and looks good. The large side opening with mesh and small awning, the length and the high foot end and weight looks good and the feedback in cold climates was very good. I think with Bivis condensation is best managed with inside v outside temperature. If you get to hot inside due to a too high a rating bag and mat or any other reason then condensation is often an issue. Not sure if this MASTER has any vents like a few similar to this do. One to watch... in fact if I can grab it for a few nights I'll trial it whilst it's winter. DJ

MJC88

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Thought I'd give you all an update. I ended up going to the closest Army Surplus store to me last weekend and left with the a medium TAS bivy. It seems like it's decent quality and has a fly over the head section which was an important factor. As you know budget was also a factor and this was $165, not cheap but not too expensive either. Time will tell, but I think it will serve me well. I used it for the first time last night. Some notes:

- It doesn't have a zip down the side. Not sure if this is normal in the bivy world, but it just takes a little time to get your bedding setup and also getting in/out.
- There weren't any bugs out, so didn't use the mozzy cover but did try it briefly. Not too annoying with it on your face. If mozzies were out I think you'd be glad you had it.
- It did get cold in the night so I pulled over the outter cover, didn't zip it up, but it did help reduce the chill.
- If you didn't have a tarp and it started to rain, it would be miserable but hopefully dry (I might have to try it out in the backyard over winter).
- Didn't use any of the tieouts, will experiment in the future.

Thanks all for your input, I've discovered there's so many options out there and I guess it all depends on what you're doing/where you're doing it and also your personal preferences. Cheers

MJC88

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Hey Jazz, I haven't used it all that much tbh as I haven't gotten out all that often lately. But for when I have it's served it purpose, extra layer to help with warmth and rain protection for sleeping bag, but any bivy could do this. I do tend to use a tarp whenever I go out so could prob do without.

I do like the bivy concept though, and will likely continue to use the bivy/tarp combo as i'm a ground dweller. I'll probably look at alternative brands next time, not a huge fan of the camo look and maybe one with a central or side zipper to make getting in/out easier. Also maybe something that has the option of putting in a pole over around the face area to lift the fabric off you face. If it was bucketing down it would make the experience a bit more comfortable.

I'm glad I didn't sell my swag as it's good if you go car camping where space/weight isn't an issue.