BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Copper cookware

darren

Templar
Joined
Nov 11, 2011
Messages
1,219
Reaction score
14
Location
Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to l
I had a copper mug and small bill made by a bloke in the states that specializes in copper work using period methods and materials a while back.
I am very happy with the outcome and they are that nice they may end up in the pool room.


IMG_5145_zpst5prbfjp.jpg


IMG_5144_zpswwhquyln.jpg


IMG_5143_zpszipzo1wx.jpg


IMG_5142_zpsiihuz7cs.jpg


IMG_5141_zps6ssbbafa.jpg


IMG_5140_zpsuazegr7m.jpg


Thanks for looking
 

elof_alv

Lofty Wiseman
Joined
Nov 20, 2012
Messages
192
Reaction score
1
Hope they're lined, otherwise they'll make good display items as copper is poisonous to us...
 

Sazeus

Russell Coight
Joined
Jun 9, 2016
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I think it's only poisonous if whatever's in there is acidic. They use unlined copper pots for boiling sugar.
 

darren

Templar
Joined
Nov 11, 2011
Messages
1,219
Reaction score
14
Location
Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to l
From Wikipedia
Cookware[edit]
Cookware in which copper is the main structural element (as opposed to copper clad, copper sandwiched or copper colored) is sometimes manufactured without a lining when intended to be used for any of a number of specific culinary tasks, such as preparing preserves or meringues. Otherwise, copper cookware is lined with a non-reactive metal to prevent contact between acidic foods and the structural copper element of the cookware.

Excepting for acute or chronic conditions, exposure to copper in cooking is generally considered harmless.[24] Following Paracelsus, dosage makes the poison; as this pertains to copper "a defense mechanism has apparently evolved as a consequence of which toxicity in man is very unusual."[25]

Acute exposure and attendant copper toxicity is possible when cooking or storing highly acidic foods in unlined copper vessels for extended periods, or by exposing foodstuffs to reactive copper salts (copper corrosion, or verdigris). Continuous, small ("chronic") exposures of acidic foods to copper may also result in toxicity in cases where either surface area interaction potentials are significant, pH is exceptionally low and concentrated (in the case of cooking with, for example, vinegar or wine), or both, and insufficient time elapses between exposures for normal homeostatic elimination of excess copper.

Exceptions to the above may be observed in the case of jam, jelly and preserve -making, wherein unlined copper vessels are used to cook (not to store) acidic preparations, in this case of fruit. Methods of jamming and preserving specify sugar as chemically necessary to the preserving (antibacterial) action, which has the additional effect of mediating (buffering) the interaction of fruit acid with copper,[26] permitting the use of the metal for its efficient thermal transfer properties.[2

Thanks for all you concern.....
 

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
May 20, 2011
Messages
3,279
Reaction score
224
Location
N.S.W
Wow looks epic ,have you a link to the maker mate? I got a copper stoctman pots tad heavy but cool thing to have.
 
Last edited:

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
May 20, 2011
Messages
3,279
Reaction score
224
Location
N.S.W
Hope they're lined, otherwise they'll make good display items as copper is poisonous to us...

I hear this a bit with copper cookware kind of a knee jerk reaction.. Far from being poisonous it is a nutrient that is necessary for good health. Of course exposed to too much copper can be detrimental to your health but you could say that about anything.
 

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Joined
Jul 8, 2013
Messages
1,857
Reaction score
362
Location
Perth, Western Australia
I hear this a bit with copper cookware kind of a knee jerk reaction.. Far from being poisonous it is a nutrient that is necessary for good health. Of course exposed to too much copper can be detrimental to your health but you could say that about anything.

I seem to remember having a similar concern when I first saw your copper stockmans quart pot. I have now been reformed and reeducated for some time now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
May 20, 2011
Messages
3,279
Reaction score
224
Location
N.S.W
Wash it down with mercury to maintain the shine and insulate it with asbestos. What could go wrong?
Nice looking set, btw.
Cheers
Bloffy

Mercury you big softie Bloffy..In my day back in the old country we wash it down with plutonium...
 
Top