CRKT Woods T-Hawk

ozslon

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've had a Chogan for a while now and recently purchased Nobo. I couldn't find any reviews side by side so hopefully this one will help someone.

Those two are very similar obviously, but designed to be used for a different tasks. One is a heavy duty camp axe (945g) and another one is more of a hiking axe (720g). Compare to GBOA both are heavy as. One thing to note is that Nobo feels less heavy in hand as it is more balanced weight wise. CRKT's head geometry is better for splitting than chopping imho, you can still chop with it comfortably though just not as productive. I really like fit and finish of the head, marks are not easily visible and can be polished nicely.
Once received I took the heads off and sand the handles well. Number of coats of linseed oil later I had a handle that feels nice and looks good. Had to put convex on both heads as I cant even describe what it was before.
Leather sheath is a bit of a problem, had to get one for Chogan from US, approx. A$25. Interesting design and good quality, but pretty useless if you planning to keep it on your belt. Axe is way too heavy for this sheath. Nobo sheath seems to be sold out everywhere and I'm thinking to get another Chogan sheath and cut "unnecessary" parts off :)

Before buying CRKT I was considering buying Cold Steel instead, but after considering that I will need to customize it to look good, made the decision to spend extra on CRKT.

Chogan used to be my go to axe until I bought GBOA, I really like ability to take the head off and pack it really nicely. There are tons of tasks you can also do with head itself. I'm planning to switch to Nobo now and see if it will work for me as well as GBOA.

So all in all, is it better than proper axe? No. But it is way more fun if you don't need to fall the tries :) Price point on these $80-120. Definitely not cheap. So buy only if you have a need or some extra money :(

DSC01578.jpgDSC01579.jpgDSC01580.jpgDSC01581.jpgDSC01582.jpgDSC01583.jpgDSC01584.jpgDSC01585.jpgDSC01586.jpgDSC01587.jpgDSC01588.jpgDSC01589.jpgDSC01590.jpgDSC01591.jpgDSC01592.jpgDSC01593.jpgDSC01594.jpg

Tamernator

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Wich blade is thicker if you look from upside down ? Im asking because from pictures i see that edge angle is different or thickness is different. Also it seems that metal arround wood handle is thicker, i mean metal ring sides , made to put wood inside. Am'i right ?

Last edited:

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Thanks for the review. I was considering something like this - the trails I ride are fairly isolated, so no one to clear fallen trees. I think a folding saw will suit my purpose much better, but a tomahawk definitely has more uses re bushcraft. Actually a folding saw and a tomahawk would be very versatile for bushcraft. I've been playing with an axe - even with a 1.6kg head it is amazing how useful it is for making stuff.

For me the nobo looks the better design - longer eye to spread stress over the part of the handle that goes in the eye. And the hammer on the chogan isn't a feature I'd find so useful - I'd probably just hold the axe upright and use the end of the handle or the back of the head; I've never needed much hammer type force when working with an axe. I also like the longer length of the handle compared to the gboa.

The handles look beautiful - you've done a great job.

Last edited:

Tamernator

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I know that head holes by Chogan and Nobo are different (more rounded by Chogan and more oval by Nobo) , but are also wooden handle sizes different for those different head sizes or do they use one size wooden handles ? I ask because i bought Nobo and i think that u got handle from Chogan