BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daypack suggestions

vanNek

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Hi guys as the title suggested I'm looking for a daypack approx 25-30L. But it's must have large hip straps & integrated hydration spot( I have a 3L camelback but looking at a giegerig) and be near bullet proof.

This bag will be for adventure racing/rogaining. So it has to be comfy, I have to lug it 4-24hours. On a bike, on foot, in a kayak or canoe.

On that not I need to be able to put one or dry sacks in side. I'm currently looking at the osprey stratos 26L.

Any suggestions?

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I have a camelback rim runner: 3lt bladder, plenty of storage, built in waterproof cover, its been hiking, camping, hunting and bushcrafting with me.......

also I have a berghaus freeflow 30: dedicated hydration slot, external padded frame so your back doesn't get sweaty on the long hard haul, built in rain cover, big padded hip straps with a quick release buckle.....

i'd prob recommend the berghaus over the camelback for comfort, but both are very comfy versatile packs that have been through the wringer and lived to tell the tale.......

vanNek

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I have a camelback rim runner: 3lt bladder, plenty of storage, built in waterproof cover, its been hiking, camping, hunting and bushcrafting with me.......

also I have a berghaus freeflow 30: dedicated hydration slot, external padded frame so your back doesn't get sweaty on the long hard haul, built in rain cover, big padded hip straps with a quick release buckle.....

i'd prob recommend the berghaus over the camelback for comfort, but both are very comfy versatile packs that have been through the wringer and lived to tell the tale.......

Cheers, any suggestion of where to get berghaus on oz? I've had a look at ferrino too, any one used their stuff?

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Ray's outdoors used to stock berghaus, not sure if they still do, otherwise hit up BCF or anaconda......

barefoot dave

Ray Mears
Reaction score
One of my Outdoor Rec mates has had an Exped Torrent for a while now. Every time I see it, I check it for loose seams etc, but is holding up well.
As you may know, we OR types do equivalent damage to our gear as an AR Type would.
Natch, it's heavier than an UL/ AR silk bag, but you won't need extra drysacks, it is quicker to get your gear and is much better for attaching gear on the outside for quick access. Pros and Cons
Can't decide between one or a canvas bag with dry sacks. hmm, decisions.
K2 keep the Exped in stock (usually)

http://www.k2.com.au/product/torrent-40l

Dave

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
I am using a Camelbak Linchpin as my day pack at the moment and it is great for most things I use it for. I have carried 40kg in it with no problems and it was very comfortable even though it does not have a hip belt. I also have a Camelbak BFM which is 45L, I got this a long day/overnight pack as the Linchpin is just a little to small, so far I have been happy with it. I have not carried it long distances but have used it as an over night bag out in the bush once and did not have that far to go so my sleeping gear was in a separate bag. I did use it for a three day trip away last week and I had tons of room left in it but I was staying at a friends house so I had a comfy bed and no cooking gear though I did have 2 days worth of clothes and PJ's.

vanNek

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
One of my Outdoor Rec mates has had an Exped Torrent for a while now. Every time I see it, I check it for loose seams etc, but is holding up well.
As you may know, we OR types do equivalent damage to our gear as an AR Type would.
Natch, it's heavier than an UL/ AR silk bag, but you won't need extra drysacks, it is quicker to get your gear and is much better for attaching gear on the outside for quick access. Pros and Cons
Can't decide between one or a canvas bag with dry sacks. hmm, decisions.
K2 keep the Exped in stock (usually)

http://www.k2.com.au/product/torrent-40l

Dave

OR? Cheers that's pack looks awesome, I like the sea to sumit one's but that didn't have as nice straps. Just doesn't have hydration compatibility that I can see!

Macpac make a good adventure racing pack. I think it's called the Amp 25.

Cheers will have a look!

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I think dry sacs are over rated. I use the heavy duty bin liners. The other advantage of those is that if you want to save space in your tent, you put the rucksac in the bin liner, couple of twists and then stand the rucksack on the twisted end outside your tent.

darren

Templar
Reaction score
Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to l
Macpac looks good. Just mean everything has to be in dry sacks I guess.

I have an amp 25 and it would fit you criteria well. On the dry sacks, no packs are waterproof and rain covers for packs are only used by tourists etc. Using some form of liner is much safer and allows you to separate the things you wish to keep dry from the things that can leak.

That's it in the pic for an overnighter

DSC01961_zps2a9d7899.jpg

Last edited:

barefoot dave

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Vanek, OR= Outdoor Recreation (leader)

Thrud: I agree. The first thing I put in all packs, lge and sml, is a Large, Orange, Garden sack. $7 pack of 4.
Pack liner, signalling, improv sleeping bag/ shelter, tested for transpiration, used for flotation etc etc etc

rain covers for packs are only used by tourists
I disagree. Having spent a bit of time lugging AusPacks around for days and weeks, you feel the extra kilos of water when soaking wet! a decent pack cover is a great first line of defence against further ingress and a nice quick-stop shelter for a breather or cuppa.
Cheers, Dave.

vanNek

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I want to use it as a day pack also I have a wife & 4yr old. I therefor am pack horse. Altought my youngster has a little kathmandu hydration pack now... So I the water resistant I.e. Caught in a shower is appealing

Last edited:

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I use a deuter futura pro 38L for my canyoning / adventure bushwalking and drybag most of my gear (helps me keep everything organised too). Nice harness and waist belt, and has an airgap along the back which keeps the sweat to a minimum. If you have wide hips this one might not be for you.

peter.

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I use a deuter futura pro 38L for my canyoning / adventure bushwalking and drybag most of my gear (helps me keep everything organised too). Nice harness and waist belt, and has an airgap along the back which keeps the sweat to a minimum. If you have wide hips this one might not be for you.

Agreed on that Deuter pack which is now my favourite day pack. I find the harness great and the air gap is really good for our humidity.

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score

Agreed on that Deuter pack which is now my favourite day pack. I find the harness great and the air gap is really good for our humidity.

It Looks well designed.

[video=youtube;zgJsDcj3cTI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgJsDcj3cTI[/video]

vanNek

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score

The 38L looks good but is too big. The do a non pro version in a 22L.

Now to find places that stock all these & try em on and have a play!!

cityboy

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I've got the deuter as well in a 26ltr... great pack... I recommend them..
the harness is great... I don't feel a load on my shoulders or do I have sore shoulders after a long walk
but find a place that stocks them and try them on first and see if it's for you...
I bought mine from Anaconda at one of there sales... Deuters are pretty expensive bags IMO

Bush-Mate

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Hey Mates,

:_sii: Deuter makes great Packs, without doubt. Not far from my Hometown is the headquatter of Deuter.

The Deuter Serie FUTURA you can buy with Aircomfort System in 42 ltr, 38 ltr. 32 ltr., 26 ltr.!

The woman versions are called (SL-Versions). Little bit differnt to the men`s version, developed for woman anatomy.

A new great Day Pack from Deuter is AC Aera 30.

Sure not cheap, but good value for money.

I used a Deuter Daypack 25 ltrs and for longer trips the Deuter 45 Aircontact. Both also pretty good.

The Future Serie have the net in the back, so it`s very important to pack your pack clever and also drop down the weight of your equipment.

When you use more than maybe 12 kilogramm the most of the weight you have to carry with your shoulders. This system is developed for Hiking with lower weight. Not really Ultra-light Hiking but high breathable.

(The point is: it`s a circle...lower sweeting, lower energy, lower weight you have to carry for Water-Beer and Food. Also make more miles! The heaviest weight you have for water and the big 4 (Iso, Backpack, SB, Tent).)

For mountaineering is better the aircontact system, because the weight is nearer to your back and you have more control, especially in heavy terrain. That`s the idea!

If you have any questions to Deuter Packs I`ll try to help you.

Cheers

Ralf

Hobo+Ronja nach 30 km.jpg
Wald Ruheplatz.jpg

Last edited: