BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daypack suggestions

Adrian

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Someone mentioned this somewhere else in this section and I thought it was great advice as pack are very much for the person carrying it and not what someone tells you you need.

Buy a cheap one along the lines of what you're looking at, use it a bit, work out what you like what you don't, what you need and what you don't & what you WANT.

Because there is so much choice one can become geographically challenged easily with out a clear vision.

My 2 cents.

Medic Ben

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I have the 5.11 rush 72 pack which is 47.5L which might be a bit big for what you are after. Maybe the 5.11 Rush 24 which is only 34L. They are fantastic packs. So much room! Plus great organisation pouches internally. Plus hydration pouch. Plus large hip/waist straps with good padding. Plus tones of molle attachment all over it. I highly suggest it. Below is a link to the place I got them. Cheapest I could find at the time (no affiliation)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400460173.143836.jpg

http://www.kizlyarknifestore.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=44_47

Smead

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Cheers, any suggestion of where to get berghaus on oz? I've had a look at ferrino too, any one used their stuff?

Hi VanNek,
Dependant on where you are, Mountain designs ussually stocks Berghaus, although when I was in Katoomba I noticed Paddy Pallins there stocked Berghaus too

MercuryFMJ

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I saw a Berghaus Vulcan in Micthellsin Melbourne city, then bought off ebay. They can occasionally be seen around in stores, but don't buy from australia you will waste a lot of money! After paying for international shipping my rucksack cost about $50 less than the one in the store.

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I have the Karrimor Predator 30 in black. It seems to fit all your requirements it has a hydration sleeve with ambidextrous tube holes. A good hip belt for a day pack. outside lower pockets on the side to fit water bottles to compression straps with QR buckle on both sides molle so you can add pouches. I have just used mine on a 23km walk that was done in 5hrs with nil discomfort. As it was made with the military in mind it is bomb proof and good quality manufacturing. At the moment it looks like they have a sale on for the tan coloured ones saving yourself nearly 50% of the price that could cover the P&P from the UK. http://www.karrimor.com/karrimor-predator-30-backpack-798014

If not that one look at the Berghaus Munro very basic but bomb proof bag again made with the military in mind Ive had mine for years and its been thrown around 4x4's, planes, ambulances, trucks, and the great outdoors and its still going good.

rlgriffo

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
While expensive, I am very happy with our Gregory Packs. My wife has a Baltoro 65 and I have the 75 for mutli day hikes.

For day trips and single night trips the Z30 is great.

Colours may not to be to everyones taste however :)

dero

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I have had an Eberlestock gunslinger2 for a few years now & love it . I smile every time I pick it up .
It is bigger than you are asking for but very versatile .
They are bullet proof , very comfortable , practical & have a good range of styles & sizes .
If you want a serious pack that will last , check their web site , you won't be disappointed .

ChrisM

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I have a geigerrig tactical 1600 and its great. It has a nice wide waist strap which is removable.

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Interesting choices - being 'BushcraftOz, one may question why most people choose gear made overseas in preference to local manufacturers? I've used a Summit Gear day pack for years - made in Katoomba and for Oz conditions. Suggest you check out the following website - have a look at their current 'sales' too.

http://www.summitgear.com.au/

(Woo Hoo, 500th post!!)

dero

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I would love to buy Australian , but the Eberlestock pack had every thing I wanted , and I didn't know of any Aussie equivalent , still don't .

Smead

Russell Coight
Reaction score
deuter packs are available from Rays and Anaconda. I had the Futura 32, and whlst the pack was bombproof, I found it a little heavy. Berghaus can be found at Mountain Designs. I have used the 38l version and found it to be lighter than the future, but it sat higher on my back and the Sternum strap wasn't long enough. I am currently using the Osprey Stratos 24, Awesome ventilation on the back, and I like how the frame moves away from you on the top and bottom of the pack. yet to give it a proper testing. I used to use packs like the Camelbak pictured earlier in this thread, being ex Army, but have gravitated towards hiking day packs