BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DD Suerlight Hammock, any experience?

ArcheRoo

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Hey guys i have been looking for a good lightweight hammock to get into the hanging gang... and i stumbled across DDs new hammock which weighs just 270gms? looks ok and i am pretty interested in their super light 3mx3m tarp anyway so thinking about ordering the kit... I have a Kammok Roo thats ok (for the pergola, haven't camped in it yet...) but is fairly large and heavy and i don't have a tarp anyway for it yet... it is a little pricey with postage though...

here is there website...http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd_superlight_combo_deal

let me know what you guys think! Cheers Ben

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I can't help you with any first hand observations but the Australian Distributor for DD Hammocks is here http://jeffstouringgear.com.au/
It might make it easier for you to determine current prices. I note however, that either the distributor has changed or that they've changed their trading name and with it have a nice, new website.

SimonM

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I wrote a long post about certain marketing strategies that get up my nose, but thought better of it :aspetta:.

Happy to discuss my hammocks if you want to. We are blessed with a lot of hammock options currently it's just a matter of finding what works for you.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys i have been looking for a good lightweight hammock to get into the hanging gang... and i stumbled across DDs new hammock which weighs just 270gms? looks ok and i am pretty interested in their super light 3mx3m tarp anyway so thinking about ordering the kit... I have a Kammok Roo thats ok (for the pergola, haven't camped in it yet...) but is fairly large and heavy and i don't have a tarp anyway for it yet... it is a little pricey with postage though...

here is there website...http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd_superlight_combo_deal

let me know what you guys think! Cheers Ben

Hi Ben,
I had a look at the superlight hammock in the link. It is light, but for me, it would be too short. I'm only 5 10, but for my hammocks, I need a length of 3m to be able to get comfy. I've tried DIY hammocks 2.5m, 2.7 and 2.8m as well and even at 2.8, I couldn't get my neck into a comfortable position.
For DD to claim that their 2.7m hammock is good for people up to 6 5 is a bit disingenuous. Yes, they will technically fit in the hammock, no they will not be comfortable.
Also, the width is 10cm less than I use. Reduced width and length means less of a diagonal lay.

DylanMC

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I am currently in the process getting my own hammock from Simon. The way I look at it, you can pay a little more and get something of higher quality, built to your specs, by a fellow Aussie. I'd take that over a small cost saving any day. This will be my first foray into hammock camping, but I'd prefer to do it once and do it well.

ArcheRoo

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
i am a bit like you Dylan, i am after the right thing for my needs and would love to go local if i can so i will definitely speak to simon, thanks guys! i am concerned about that wentworth,i am 6'2" so i am unsure how the comfort will go! i have a hennessy that i am going to try this weekend which is the same size so that should help with the comfort ideas i guess!

ArcheRoo

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
And simon an email will be coming your way! i would love to hear the opinions on hammock marketing especially! i am new to the hammock game and there are so many different things put forward by manufacturers its hard to know what specs are important etc! I think without sleeping in one my priorities are weight and packed up size as it will be used on hikes etc... that was the initial appeal of the DD Hammock... I would love some of your expertise and knowledge to help me so i will flick you an email! cheers mae and thanks everyone here for helping!!! Ben