BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deer skin project ideas?

Yamaotoko

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Most of the leather I’ve ever played with has been pretty heavy duty, great for sturdy bags, sheaths etc… however…

I was given a side of very soft, supple deer skin from Japan, it’s beautiful, but I’m stuck on ideas for projects to make from it! Can anyone offer me any inspiration? I know this is a ‘how long is a piece of string’ question, but I have no immediate need to inspire me, so I’d love to just see what you’ve made out of such a fine, soft leather.

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Knife and Sheath 003.JPG
This knife sheath is actually made from the outer bark of the Stringybark tree & I covered it in leather.
Sword Scabbard 1.JPG
This Hunting sword scabbard I made from a heavy leather & then covered it in a thinner softer leather.

I once made a pair of moccasins out of deer leather, I made them hair inside for winter warmth. Bad mistake. The deer hair brought up a terrible rash on my feet!!!
SHOT goose shot REDUCED.jpgShot bag 1 REDUCED.jpg

You could make a poke bag, a drawstring pouch. I have made several of these, I also made some soft leather containers for holding lead shot.

Food bags & glass bottles. Carried in the knapsack, haversack, snapsack or market wallet..jpg
Food bags, one made of leather.
Gunpowder Bag #2 Reduced.JPGGunpowder Bag 6..jpg
Gunpowder bags.
Fire Bag 3 REDUCED.JPG
My Fire Bag. I carry my tinderbox in this greased leather bag. The top has a flap closer, & I then roll this down to make it waterproof (Keeps my tinder dry). I carry it in my belt pouch.
Making A Leather Pouch 014.jpgMaking A Leather Pouch 015.jpg
My medical pouch (first aid kit).
Rum Bottle 2.JPG2 REDUCED 1.jpg
My glass rum bottle I protect in a leather pouch.
Belt Pouch-New Belt Loops 001 REDUCED.jpg
My Belt Pouch.
Water Flasks 003.JPG2 REDUCED.jpg
Glass Water Flasks covered in leather.
Bow 11.JPG
BOW3.JPG
My Bow bound in leather.
Bow & Arrows 5 REDUCED.JPG
My arrow quiver made from sheepskin.

I hope this may at least give you some ideas.
Regards, Keith.

Attachments

• Gunpowder Bag.JPG
    Gunpowder Bag.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 0

Yamaotoko

Les Stroud
Reaction score
View attachment 28821
This knife sheath is actually made from the outer bark of the Stringybark tree & I covered it in leather.
View attachment 28822
This Hunting sword scabbard I made from a heavy leather & then covered it in a thinner softer leather.

I once made a pair of moccasins out of deer leather, I made them hair inside for winter warmth. Bad mistake. The deer hair brought up a terrible rash on my feet!!!
View attachment 28831View attachment 28832

You could make a poke bag, a drawstring pouch. I have made several of these, I also made some soft leather containers for holding lead shot.

View attachment 28823
Food bags, one made of leather.
View attachment 28824View attachment 28826
Gunpowder bags.
View attachment 28827
My Fire Bag. I carry my tinderbox in this greased leather bag. The top has a flap closer, & I then roll this down to make it waterproof (Keeps my tinder dry). I carry it in my belt pouch.
View attachment 28828View attachment 28829
My medical pouch (first aid kit).
View attachment 28830
My glass rum bottle I protect in a leather pouch.
View attachment 28833
My Belt Pouch.
View attachment 28834
Glass Water Flasks covered in leather.
View attachment 28835
View attachment 28836
My Bow bound in leather.
View attachment 28837
My arrow quiver made from sheepskin.

I hope this may at least give you some ideas.
Regards, Keith.
Thanks for the inspiration Keith, you’ve given me some great ideas! Even though we live in a bit of a bushy block, Bushcrafting, even any general ‘wildernessing’ has really taken a back seat the past few years (since our youngest unexpectedly came along!), so I have no immediate needs… makes it hard to come up with solutions when you don’t have a problem to solve. I like your soft bottle cover though, I’ve got some nice small corked bottles needing some protection 👍🏻

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Thanks for the inspiration Keith, you’ve given me some great ideas! Even though we live in a bit of a bushy block, Bushcrafting, even any general ‘wildernessing’ has really taken a back seat the past few years (since our youngest unexpectedly came along!), so I have no immediate needs… makes it hard to come up with solutions when you don’t have a problem to solve. I like your soft bottle cover though, I’ve got some nice small corked bottles needing some protection 👍🏻
Good to know my post gave you some ideas, pleased to be able to help. The leather on the glass bottles also helps contain the spread of glass through one's pack if they ever get broken.
They grow so fast mate, one day they are still playing with toys, then suddenly they are going to school & before you know it you are wondering where that child went & the years between. You have to keep track of them & start teaching them as soon as they are ready.
All the best.
Regards, Keith.