BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disappointing Primative FAIL

bubba5603

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
So I was starting my first serious project at working stone. The other day on the beach I found a most unusual stone. It was slightly cupped, thin and about half the size of my palm with a short piece extending out the side. After inspection, a light bulb went off in the head and gave light to a project to work the stone and add a maple handle lashed to it to create a very cool stone headed spoon. The plan was to use only hand grinding against a piece of steel to dig out a slightly deeper dish before the spoon was handled, and then it was to be a Christmas present for SWMBO. Things were going great, although it was very time consuming. Was working in the garage with the youngest son (who is going to join up here soon!) and photos had been taken as I had planned to post them up here and had started to journal the work for the AT&NTW group. Now for the unfortunate part of the story...as I was handing the work to the boy, I dropped it onto the garage floor and one beautiful project became three piece of gravel.

Time to find a new rock.

Last edited:

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
.... and that's just what you find at peleo sites. Lots of broken and discarded material !

I think that building a peleo rubbish dump should count for something ?

bubba5603

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Sound like you have seen my garage!! I guess that if it was easy and always worked out then everyone would be doing it...like I said, time to find a new rock.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah well, just think how good the second job will look. Look forward to seeing the pics

bubba5603

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Should have saved the first stone for the second attempt, but if wishes were horses....

Lesson learned...find more than one "perfect" piece before starting any project

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Bubba.... Would still be interested in a few of the pictures you too though...

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
LOL. In keeping with the primative fail theme, it sounds like you have relived (recapitulated)
the mid Homo erectus era of light bulb (fire stick) flashes of frustrated genius of knowing
what you want but being unable to realize it.
Fortunately you can skip the next half million years of cursing and go straight to fine motor
manipulation and patient trial and error, ... failing that there is always pine pitch or hide glue.

Better luck next time.

Last edited:

Quinkan

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
...and that's how ancient man invented swearing. And why so many swear words mimic the sound of snapping a spearhead, or being stepped on by a mammoth. :D

bubba5603

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Then it would have sounded like an entire herd of wolly mammoths were wipped out in my garage!

Templar - will post the photos up tomorrow if I bring in the right cord to download them...still figuring out this high-tech stuff

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Bummer mate. Hope the next one turns out, if not maybe the 3rd project can be a stone hammer so you can vent your frustrations on the would be spoon.

bubba5603

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
As requested by Templar, here are two photos of the stones before the tragic ending of the project. Hope I can find something similar to try again.
Rock project.jpgSpoon rock.jpg

The first photo is of the back of the rock, (sorry about the thumb) that doesn't really show how well it was shaped before I started

The second photo is of the front, where I did start to remove material a couple of hours after this photo was taken.

Last edited: