BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY Wood furniture for home.

stelgavr

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hello people ,
I have to say this is the first time I blog, anyway, so this thread is about creating furniture for our homestead with wood.
I am moving these days to a new house, not a homestead really but still, I want to make a whole living room out of wood... my ideas are 2 round big chunks as table support and a slab of wood on top bolted together , for a table... and 2 chairs or stools out of another 2 round big pieces of wood with pillows on top.
my real worries are that I dont know how to process or treat the wood so it wont rot or hear the small little insects inside... anyone can help with this ?
by the way I dont know if I am supposed to start a whole thread to ask a question ... let me know and thank you for taking the time to read.

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
hi stelgavr and welcome, if a search of the forum doesnt bring up a thread with the info than for sure create a new one.
im interested in this topic also and have been reading up on draw knives for tidying up wood etc.. i have a long way to go before i even start :)
cheers

NuNanook

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Stelgavr
I think it will depend on the type of timber you use and also your location.

I made this yellow box table back in 2000, all I have used on it is burnishing oil.

I live down in Canberra

67bb2c40c64549b9ac5789b755ec412e.jpg

Hope this is of some help.

Russ

Askew

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Stelgavr, when you say two big round chunks do you mean lengths of log? That sort of thing can get very heavy.

Brumby53

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Stelgavr... you don't say where you are (?) as NuNanook said it depends on the timber. Sounds as though you have very little experience with wood & wood working. Can I suggest you start small, say a small stool or even if you got some smaller timber perhaps 100 mm round, make up some models of the furniture you are planning on making... it may save a lot of heartache later on.
DSCN0996e.jpg

PS
Lovely Table NaNanook ... fabulous craftsmanship