BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

Early traditional iron making

Chigger

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Stumbled across this Dutch video which re enacts early iron making. Starts at the foraging for the raw ore found in the forest, making of a kiln and the stages of preparation of the ore. Heating the ore in the kiln along with the hammering of the iron bloom to remove impurities.

Finally at the end the blacksmith makes a medieval ploughshare out of the iron.

Two flint and steel fire lighting, at 7:58 appears to be cutting fungi touchwood and using a piece of this with his flint and steel. At 10:09 think I can see a piece of fungi sitting on a log. And then another flint and steel firelighting.

Not often a re enactment actually produces a practical item.

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Stumbled across this Dutch video which re enacts early iron making. Starts at the foraging for the raw ore found in the forest, making of a kiln and the stages of preparation of the ore. Heating the ore in the kiln along with the hammering of the iron bloom to remove impurities.

Finally at the end the blacksmith makes a medieval ploughshare out of the iron.

Two flint and steel fire lighting, at 7:58 appears to be cutting fungi touchwood and using a piece of this with his flint and steel. At 10:09 think I can see a piece of fungi sitting on a log. And then another flint and steel firelighting.

Not often a re enactment actually produces a practical item.

Well done Chigger, good find, thank you for sharing.
Regards, Keith.

Chigger

Ray Mears
Reaction score
To do so and make some sort of item such as a knife or garden implement would be quite an achievemnet. Remember many years ago, 30 yrs or so, I visited a property in the Braidwood area where a group of ironsmith enthusiasts did just that.
They were camped there as I remember as it takes a lot of time to make iron.

Well before digital cameras and now cannot remember any details except there was a lot of fires burning with people hammering things out.

There probably are enthusiast groups about who do this early traditional iron making.

WanderOn

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Thanks Chigger.
Will keep my eye out in my travels.
I have till mid September to be out of my house and then we’re on the road full time.