BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Night in my New Second hand hammock

Camo

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hello All

Thought i would post a couple of photos from my first night hanging. I loved being able to sit down while i made my dinner and a brew on the MSR defiantly a nice advantage to a hammock. I used my therma rest and just a cheap sleeping bag and i was plenty warm,

IMG_0232.jpg
IMG_0233.jpg

All went very well considering the rain and wind. I did add a ridge line for the trap as i couldn't seem to get it to sit without sagging at the top. May be how i have the setup?

Thanks to Swampy for the hammock its Awesome,

Added Bonus of sleeping in my front yard is the view in the morning.

IMG_0234.jpg

Any pointers on setup are welcome.

Thanks

Camo

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
Looks great mate, can't beat a good night in a hammock. You did well to sleep warm on your first night, took me many nights to krack that one. By the look of your picture I would say that your lines could do with being tighter and lower down the tree, especially if you have a Hennesey, they like to be fairly tight. Should help to tension your tarp

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
If you were warm and comfortable one your first night then your off to a cracking start of hammocking...

How good is having a chair as comfortable as a hammock to sit in :) that is one aspect of the hammock that i really appreciate too.

And as for your backyard view...:_applauso:

Camo

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Thanks Phrayzar Ill give that a try.

As for being warm i learnt along time ago that i can forget almost anything as long as i have some were warm and dry to sleep. I did do alot of reading and youtubeing before setting out the first night so i had some idea of how to keep warm.

Lepmeister its great on a Friday arvo in summer on a lylow with a few beverages.

Smarteee

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Nice one Camo! Welcome to hanging. As Phrayzar says, getting the suspension lines nice and taught seems to work best on my Hennessey. It keeps the tarp nice and tight between the prusik knots and the hammock at the correct angle for the perfect lay.

Here's a couple of shots I took last weekend. The tarp is nice taught (not too tight that it strains the stitching). As a guide I normally place my suspension tree straps around the tree at (my) chin height (I'm only 173cm/5'8"). Once inside this leaves my 80kg arse hanging about 45cm(18") above the ground. :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Camo

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Thanks Smarteee

Ill try the setup again on the weekend if work permits

Has anyone tried putting shock cord on the end of the tarps between the trap and the prusik knots Thought it might help keep the trap tight with out stretching it?

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
If that was my front yard I'd hardly ever leave! Thanks for sharing.