Forget GPS Coordinates – Just remember “What3Words” ??

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Forget GPS Coordinates, this is a new way to specify a location:

“What3Words” is a company who is using a very innovative way to locate a position on the surface of the earth (land and sea).
Its really designed around a postal address type accuracy with each coordinate grid representing a 3m x 3m square.

The simplicity is that each of these address “coordinates” is very easy to name and remember; and is multi lingual, so you can get the Spanish, German or English version of the address if you wish.

For example: would you rather remember typical GPS coordinates like: -36.455898,148.2635132
Or
scales.nurse.digging

How accurately could you recall that address after 10 minutes ? And simpler to communicate to someone else with less chance of an error

Sure its not as accurate as traditional GPS coordinates, but for many every-day uses it is more than adequate.

Its certainly an interesting idea.
There is quite a bit of information here if you are interested in the application for this type of technology and companies who are using it and supporting this as a new standard.

From the website: http://what3words.com/about/

The world is poorly addressed. This is frustrating and costly in developed nations; and in developing nations this is life-threatening and growth limiting.
what3words is a unique combination of just 3 words that identifies a 3mx3m square, anywhere on the planet.
It’s far more accurate than a postal address and it’s much easier to remember, use and share than a set of coordinates.
(No Affiliation)

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
A most excellent location !

My favourite is: help.incredibly.lost :_risata: ... its a real location !

A couple of interesting articles which (I think) explain the uses quite well:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-innovation-what-3-words-idUSKCN10M1Q6

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/nov/01/meet-me-there-what3words-redefines-geolocations
The three words are right outside my house. This sounds like fate to me. The app would be good for using with the team Im taking to Nepal in October as the addresing in Kathmandu can be a bit sketchy so would be good just to use as location over comms for the team.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
The three words are right outside my house. This sounds like fate to me. The app would be good for using with the team Im taking to Nepal in October as the addresing in Kathmandu can be a bit sketchy so would be good just to use as location over comms for the team.
FYI - I have "Navmii" navigation on my Android phone, which uses a downloaded copy of Open Street Maps (ie no phone signal or wifi required once downloaded)

Because Open Street Maps support what3words, I can use the 3word addresses to search and navigate ! ... how kool is that !

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I recall hearing about this a while back but forgot about it so didn't look into it further. It's certainly an interesting idea for addressing and general location. Far more people friendly than GPS coordinates. I just looked up my front door and rather like my "address" though obviously I won't post it publicly.

We'll have to wait and see if it catches on.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I recall hearing about this a while back but forgot about it so didn't look into it further. It's certainly an interesting idea for addressing and general location. Far more people friendly than GPS coordinates. I just looked up my front door and rather like my "address" though obviously I won't post it publicly.

We'll have to wait and see if it catches on.
... perfect for a GPS drone pizza delivery system .... "Hello, my address is cheese.salami.tomato" ....