BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frost river isle royal jr review

woodsrunner

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
here is a review on the frost river isle royal jr i did
hope i'm not kicking a dead horse here LOL
first impressions were as expected, the frost river isle royal jr is built like a tank and at five and one half pounds weighs nearly as much as my 8'x8' canvas tarp.
the stitching is heavy duty as is the 18oz canvas construction, the roller buckles are all solid brass and the leather straps are thick yet supple.

there are 4 leather gear patches at the bottom of the bag and two heavy brass D rings at the top.
the two front pockets have ample room for a usgi canteen and canteen cup combo, behind those pockets are slip pockets with drainage grommets.

between the two front pockets there is an axe sleeve for, you guessed it carrying a camp hatchet or tomahawk.

each side of the pack has six small brass D rings with paracord crisscrossing to create a rather effective compression system.
there is a short slip pocket with drain grommets on each side of the pack as well.
this feature is great for carrying things like fire sticks, a bucksaw, axe or whatever you like.

there is no waistbelt on this pack and it isn't really neccesary for this bag.
at the top there is a grab/drag handle very well done and really improves the overall handling of the pack.
if you like hanging your pack from trees, this is a great feature and not present on most of their canoe packs

the straps are padded leather wrapped in deerhide and do require a breakin period.
there is an adjustible leather sternum strap which i personally find usefull.
i really like the way they placed the bottom buckels to the pack so there is no chance they'll dig into your sides, unlike some other bags they make.
there is a good sized pocket beneath the top lid for maps or gloves, but no way to seal the pocket so things are prone to fall out when opening the lid.

overall the pack is crazy tough with all kinds of bushcrafty type features.
this bag will hold a lot of gear with the ability to lash on even more gear to the outside.

anyhow here is a few picks,of the pack and what i had in it...if anything goes wrong with the bag i'll let ya know...woods

004-14.jpg

008-11.jpg

check out the stitching
009-15.jpg

lotsa room for canteen and cup
or a large nalgene bottle
007-13.jpg

front slip pockets for tools
006-13.jpg

005-13.jpg

010-15.jpg

013-12.jpg

ok i don't know why i didn't think of this sooner
but for those of you who are not farmiliar with the isle royal jr...
most of you probably are farmiliar with the medium alice pack.

so here's a little side by side comparison in photos
keep in mind the alice is on my modified frame...woods
004-15.jpg

003-14.jpg

001-11.jpg

008-12.jpg

002-13.jpg

please note i am wearing this pack over my m1956 webgear
without any interference
the molle waist pack is mounted to the webgear
for the record...
my height is 5' 11" 180 lbs
003-13.jpg

012-12.jpg

009-16.jpg

006-14.jpg

i missed this shot in the first series of pics
its also worth noting that the bottom of the pack...
...has a double layer of canvas...woods
014-14.jpg

ok
here you go! loaded to half capacity with compression straps tightened all the way...hope this helps...woods
038-6.jpg

040-6.jpg

thanks!...woods

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Very nice Woods.

I really like the "slot" for the hawk, a nice touch; and I love seeing your fire sticks - what type of wood(s) do you use ?

How does it stand up in he wet ?

Thanks for the great post

woodsrunner

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
thanks Aussie123!...i believe my set in the pics is mullien drill and seep willow for the hearthboard
i have built hand drill fires from this type of set in the past after just having collected the materials coming up from the snow, or while using damp tinder...
its a bit more effort...though certainly not impossible...woods

J.K.M

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Nice review and pack woodsrunner, thanks for taking the time to write it up.

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Excellent review woodsrunner. It is refreshing to see how the actual gear that someone carries displayed so that we can gauge how large the pack is. Also, seeing in on someone's back and with you giving your height and weight allows us again to gauge whether or not it might suit us. Thanks for posting. :)

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
The shoulder straps look good. I really don't need more gear but seeing a few of these packs on the forum is tempting

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
I agree Wentworth,I really don't need another pack. Do I???....
Good review. I reckon that's a pretty good setup. Narrow enough and looks the goods.
The canteen pocket looks big enough to take a 2l Sth African water bottle.
How comfy are the shoulder straps? There's not much padding there by the looks but they have a bit of width to spread the load.
How much tucker can you fit in once you have everything else loaded up? Enough for a couple of days?
In the load out kit, you have some green, flattish looking cordage. What is it please and what do you use it for?
I have an Alice setup similar to yours with a custom (Read home made) waist belt, almost identical to yours.
Cheers
Bloffy

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Great post woods... love the look of this pack and like you load out too.

@Bloffy the green tape looks like braided nylon rigging tape, they sell the stuff here in 'Nam for stringing hammocks and the like, you can get it at home where they sell horse tack, as I have seen it used for leads and picquet lines... think of it like really big para cord without the inner strands...

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Great review Woods! As everyone says it's a good looking pack, and it's really interesting to see what you fit in it.

woodsrunner

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I agree Wentworth,I really don't need another pack. Do I???....
Good review. I reckon that's a pretty good setup. Narrow enough and looks the goods.
The canteen pocket looks big enough to take a 2l Sth African water bottle.
How comfy are the shoulder straps? There's not much padding there by the looks but they have a bit of width to spread the load.
How much tucker can you fit in once you have everything else loaded up? Enough for a couple of days?
In the load out kit, you have some green, flattish looking cordage. What is it please and what do you use it for?
I have an Alice setup similar to yours with a custom (Read home made) waist belt, almost identical to yours.
Cheers
Bloffy
Thanks Bloffy!
shoulder straps are well padded
you bet lots of room for a 1 liter water bottle and more, also sleeves behind the pockets for saws, machetes ect
In the loadout picture there is an orange sack, in it are two days dry goods, oatmeal, rice, ramon noodles
in the kettle is coffee, hot chocolate and soup mix...plenty tucker for a two day outing!
templar is correct the green webbing is nylon tape for hanging my hammock, which is in that small OD green stuff sack
thanks for looking...woods

Last edited:

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Nice. Good to see another Ewok. Gotta get amongst the trees.
Sorry Woods did not realise you had food in there already.
Obviously not such a big need to carry water in the US but do you have any type of filtration/chem treatment or do you just rely on boiling?
What does this set up weigh?
Would you mind putting up yoour load out list (Even if it's another thread).
Always keen to see what people are carrying and, like you've shown, how.
What's the handle on your axe. Looks the bomb.
And all that in a fairly small pack.
In case you haven't guessed I am the dumb guy always asking questions.
Cheers
Bloffy

woodsrunner

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Hey bloffy no problem amigo!
total weight of that pack with loadout is 24 lbs
10 degree (fahrenheit) sleeping bag 'feathered friends'
usgi ponco liner (in long dark green stuffsack)
hammaka hammock (double)
ENO tarp
food bag with rice, raman noodles, instant oatmeal for two days
usgi canteen and cup
GSI kettle with coffee singles, hot chocolate and instant soupmix inside
Molle ll waist pack: with firstaid kit, headlamp, snack bars, matches, small arkansaw stone, 50'paracord and a bandana
filson cap, mitts, extra socks, leather gloves
fifty foot nylon rope
nylon riggging tape
hammock ridge line with black netted sack attatched
compass
malaysian parang
bacho folding saw
cold steel tomahawk
fire set
sit pad
while i do own an MSR water filter i only take that on extended canoe trips
as a result i tend to boil my water unless i collect it from one of the many mouuntain springs...then its straight up!
the hawk handle i made from a piece of chokecherry as i broke the hickory handle throwing the hawk
014-13.jpg

i often use my hammok
though just as often i'll use a tarp tent setup
here is a couple pics
003-23.jpg

001-25.jpg

027-4.jpg

here is my hammock setup
006-8.jpg

or sometimes i'll leave the tarp and the hammock at home
and roll this way

022-3.jpg

014-6.jpg

reckon i hijacked my own thread
back on topic the isle royal jr is a well thought out, very well made pack if you don't mind forking out the cash!
me i'm going back to my less expensive canvas bags!...woods

Last edited:

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Great photos Woodsrunner. Is the poncho liner the only insulation you have under you in the hammock sleeping out in snow? You must be a human furnace

woodsrunner

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Great photos Woodsrunner. Is the poncho liner the only insulation you have under you in the hammock sleeping out in snow? You must be a human furnace
thanks wentworth!...no i have a 3/4 length sleep pad between the hammock and poncho liner, lightweight and works the treat!...i ain't so tough LOL...woods

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Woodsrunner. They are all impressive set ups. Like the idea of the stick on the tree. Wow you have only been here a short time but its been valuable contributions. 24lbs (10kg) is prettty impressive food and water load weight especially with the axe.
Please keep the great contris coming. Nice pix too.
Cheers
Bloffy

Bloozz

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Great pics woodrunner - thanks for sharing. I've been looking at Frost rivers packs too, not only do I not need another hiking pacj, I don't even go hiking. :triste: can't help myself, they just look cool.

Wandering Spirit

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I bought the same pack about 8 months ago, I have not had much time walking with it loaded though and I am still yet to know if I made a silly decision buying it as it was quite expensive. I loved how it had nice spaces for the equipment I wanted to take, although would like to have gone the larger pack as it can become a bit tight regards to space, me being not so used to bushing it and wanting to take lots of gear, but I will no doubt learn to go with less - at least thats the plan! I will show my pack and load out in the '2 day pack' course results section in the next day or two.

Thanks for sharing woodsrunner, I love the camp shots you posted too!