BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

Frost river Isle Royale packs

Chippy

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hi there, first post just out of curiosity :)
Anyone able to show with pictures and a bit of info the difference between the Isle Royale jr and the mini?
Just wondering if the mini will be enough for my overnight gear or if I should just get the jr and be done with it.
Thanks for any help!

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I don't have any hands on experience with either but I did make a pack that was the same dimensions of the Jnr and it was fairly large. More than enough room for a bushcraft style overnighter. In fact, it was almost too big.

McGinnis

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I've no experience with the Mini, but my Jr is more than adequate for a fairly comfortable overnighter. I tend to pack way too much and have never found the Jr wanting for space; it's likely to get too heavy before it gets too full.

If it helps, I carry a GoLite SL3 (not the smallest or lightest of tents), a far-too-big Mountain Hardwear Merced 15 sleeping bag, and an Exped Downmat 7. Along with all the other regular items it gets full, but not bloated. Once I downsize to a quilt and start carrying my hammock again, I'll have more than enough room for some luxuries, I think.

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I am still waiting for Redtail to decide he doesn't like his anymore so I can acquire it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How about I bring my Mini, and you your Junior, on the upcoming Grimwade meet? At least we can get a pick of them together for Chippy! :)

Mountainwalker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
At the other end of the scale I love the full size Isle Royale, used it last weekend for a camp.

Chippy

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help! I ended up just going for the jr. They seem to have a good compression system so I obviously don't have to fill it to the brim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk