BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

future shelters

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Just found this found it interesting on what people will try to do/design to get out into nature
http://www.solarenergygreenlifestyleforyou.com/2009/07/orange-solar-concept-tent-for-campers.html

View attachment 15713
The UK mobile company Orange recently unveiled their concept for the "tent of the future", called Glastonbury. This tent will allow avid campers to keep in touch and power their essential gadgets such as GPS or mobile phones.

The Orange Solar Concept Tent was designed with help from the American product design firm Kaleidoscope and it harnesses solar energy to charge the gadgetry through a wireless charging pouch (no plug in!).

The solar-powered futuristic tent captures the rays of the sun via “photovoltaic fabric" - specially coated solar threads woven into conventional fabric. The Solar Concept Tent uses this revolutionary new technology to full effect with three adjustable glides, which can be rotated throughout the day to follow the sun and capture the most sunlight. Not only that, the tent has a wireless control hub to provide WiFi, wireless charging, and a touchscreen LCD display that keeps track of the energy generated and consumed.

Another advancement is a cool feature called "glo-cation technology". This enables campers to find their tent using an SMS message or automatic active RFID tech. So if you’re having trouble finding your tent, sent a text, and the Glastonbury will glow gently for you, guiding you back to your sleeping bag.

There is also a feature known as groundsheet heat. This is an internal heating element controlled by the central hub and it is embedded within the tent’s groundsheet. The underfloor heater will automatically come once the interior temperature drops below a certain level.

Well, let's hope that the Orange Solar Concept Tent could soon become a reality.

Source: Orange Unveils Solar Powered Tent for Staying Connected While Camping in Luxury

Last edited:

payney

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Well that is different. Certainly not for me (or many here I'd suspect) but I can see a market for it.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Amazing. I love the sound of “photovoltaic fabric" – that could be very useful.
Plug your device into your tarp, or jacket …. Lots of possibilities

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I note this article is from July 2009. I wonder if any of these technologies have been put into production?

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
All good until it rains and there is wear point in the fabric and it shorts out while your sleeping inside......lol
I take a mobile bush for safety, if there is reception. I still reckon it would be cheaper to have a battery pack. It is amazing technology