BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ganzo FB765 440c ( Factory edge cuts rope )

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score

A) I really like the size of the knife , the way it's bolted together and the lack of any discernable slop !
B) Very fidget friendly .
C) Blade runs on ball bearings .
D) 440c ? Yeah , I dont know that that's the best choice .
E) Blade was re ground on the wet stone grinder , and it was FUBAR . ( What's new ? )
F) 50 slice Fail .. I then wood stropped the blade for another 50 slice fail .. First time looks like a roll developed ( Burr ? ) Factory Edge

I will put the new edge to the rope and see what happens .

Last edited:

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score

Wet Stone Grinder Edge :
Wow , looks like the factory edge was True That FUBAR !
So , we have gone from 50 slices to 300 slices ... That's only a 600% increase in performance ! ( only )

For 440c ......... Yeah , I can certainly live with this one .

Stropping the edge back took some effort , but I was able to do it with pure leather ! No need to resort to compound .

Looks like Ganzo is doing the right thing by customers . ( More than can be said for other knife companies = My opinion )

If all are like this one , I whole heartedly give the Ganzo FB765 a thumbs up !

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score

Wet Stone Grinder Edge :
Wow , looks like the factory edge was True That FUBAR !
So , we have gone from 50 slices to 300 slices ... That's only a 600% increase in performance ! ( only )

For 440c ......... Yeah , I can certainly live with this one .

Stropping the edge back took some effort , but I was able to do it with pure leather ! No need to resort to compound .

Looks like Ganzo is doing the right thing by customers . ( More than can be said for other knife companies = My opinion )

If all are like this one , I whole heartedly give the Ganzo FB765 a thumbs up !
One of my first knives is my recent knife interest is a ganzo 440c. After a long time of just stropping to keep it sharp, I bit the bullet and sharpened it. Of course the edge angles were all over the place. It took me a long time to correct one side - I too was impressed. Happy to hear you have a good one too.

ganzo cleaver.jpg

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Ganzo is at the very least making an effort to cook the steel correctly ..
Something every Chinese knife maker needs to do .

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Ganzo is at the very least making an effort to cook the steel correctly ..
Something every Chinese knife maker needs to do .
I don't know how old the company is, but I've had that knife for about 4 years now. They seem to have hit the ground running. If you look at reviews from 4 years ago they were generally well received. I think I have 5 ganzos now, the other 4 are in D2. I think I got in with the first knife near their start. At one point I think they only had 440c. As their popularity (and sales) improved they started getting into D2. Their D2 doesn't seem to be as hard as their 440c; my memory of them is that they were an easy repair (correcting the bezels). However, that is subjective; I've never tested anything like you do. My feeling at this stage is that I'd prefer a budget steel with a good heat treat over a high end steel with a poor heat treat (and the cheaper prices of the budget steel knives).

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score
?????? Ganzo ...
I got one quite a few years ago ... Dont recall the model ..
Did it ever ..... Slice rope ? Everyone crowed about it at the time ... 5 Years ago ? ( Dont remember )

Carbon scales , flipper , D2 , model ? Firebird ....

Yes , cheap knives with decent blade steel are Boss .... ( Value for money )
Expensive knives with poor blade steel = A RIP in your wallet !
Unfortunately since 99.9% of people never test edge holding , or is it fortunately ? They will never know they were RIP'ed !